Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bike...27 lbs...in a bike box, ready to be shipped. The last time I went to UPS to ship a bike, which was about 2 years ago, it was around 70 bucks. Today, it was 125!!!!

Does anyone else...Fedex or DHL ship bigger boxes any cheaper?

thanks in advance,
jay

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
FedEx

Whenever I have shopped around, FedEx has been considerably less than either UPS or US Post. Eg, I sold a steel frame a couple of years ago. US Postal wanted over $100 to ship to Seattle area from NC, UPS about $60 and FedEx was about $35.

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
Get the weight and dimensions of the box and make a few phone calls. I think DHL is pretty competitive, so I'd be sure and put them on your list.

·
Ti me up
1,242 Posts
jkantor1312 said:
I have a bike...27 lbs...in a bike box, ready to be shipped. The last time I went to UPS to ship a bike, which was about 2 years ago, it was around 70 bucks. Today, it was 125!!!!

thanks in advance,
jay
FedEx Ground has typically been the cheapest. The $125 sounds very high. Is this a particularly large size? Some of the very large bike boxes go into the next size category up, which makes them very expensive.

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,449 Posts
1" less in the length of the box can make a huge difference in the shipping cost! Go to the FedEx website and to the shipping rates. In there you will input the dimensions of your shipping box. Now reduce the length of the box 1" at a time, when you reach the "magic number" your shipping cost will drop about 50%. Now what you have to do is figure if you cut the box down to that dimension, will you be able to fit the bike inside? If you're a little creative, you should be able to do it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
jkantor1312 said:

thanks in advance,
jay
I second the DHL recommendation. I've had really good luck with them. It does sound like you're getting dinged for an "oversize" charge. Even shipping coast-to-coast I don't think I've paid more than $75 or $80 for a bike box.

2wheelsport

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
You can also remove the front fork and place it taped to the down tube. this will allow you put it in diagonally in a smaller box. Use a butchered bike box from the LBS. put spacers to prevent box from collasping. what size is your frame? i just shipped a 54 cm frame from tx to colorado for $18 usps. also go to the fedex shipping warehouse not an authorized dealer. the authorized dealer (KINKO'S) can charge up to 15% above what fedex charges if you went to the warehouse.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,771 Posts
Fed Ex Ground

I shipped a bike one month ago - total weight 33 # for $13! I set it all up on their website and dropped the box off at a local pick-up place (Kinko's like). I was expecting it to cost about $20 based on the numbers I plugged into the website but actual cost to my credit card was lower.

This was shipped from West Tennessee to Iowa and it took 4 days.

·
Registered
237 Posts
FedEx Ground

Last month Portland, OR to West Palm Beach, FL, 32 lbs, in the original factory carton, (oversize rate) $44. Dropped off at Kinko's, 5 business days enroute, arriving in good condition. Used my American Express card, got a 5% rebate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts