Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
i am looking to buy a entry level cyclocross bike,
has anyone ridden or seen close up this Dawes Lightning Cross?
Cheers

·
weird huh?
304 Posts
Have not ridden....but

msrp on that Dawes is $1600.00

For $250.00 more you can go up quite a few notches. Example. Giant TCX0. You can pick up a 2009 model for $1850.00 at most shops. Shimano Ultrega shifters/derailleurs, Mavic Aksium, FSA crankset etc.

Not pushing any brand, but for a little more $$ you can do much better on the components.

Cheers!

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nater said:
Where?

Bikes Direct has it for $449 shipped.
Exactly, Dawes puts up some exaggerated MSRP numbers. My girlfriend has a Dawes off Bikes Direct (not the same model as above though), and for the money it is not bad at all. It has all decent (and not the lightest) components on it. If you are just getting into CX, then it will probably be a decent enough bike, but don't expect blazing performance

·
Registered
417 Posts
cmdrpiffle said:
msrp on that Dawes is $1600.00

For $250.00 more you can go up quite a few notches. Example. Giant TCX0. You can pick up a 2009 model for $1850.00 at most shops. Shimano Ultrega shifters/derailleurs, Mavic Aksium, FSA crankset etc.

Not pushing any brand, but for a little more $$ you can do much better on the components.

Cheers!

Mike

Bikes direct makes up that figure, they really sell it for $450. The bikes you recommend while better cost 4x as much
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/ltcross.htm

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes i was looking at this $450 one,
I had a nice steel bike stolen, and don't feel like having anything expensive right now...

just curious to see how these Chinese aluminum frame work out.
I'll send pictures if i buy it.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Smamin said:
yes i was looking at this $450 one,
I had a nice steel bike stolen, and don't feel like having anything expensive right now...

just curious to see how these Chinese aluminum frame work out.
I'll send pictures if i buy it.

Cheers
Over at Bikeforums Mike form BD always said they only use 1 AL frame on all their models. The equipmen:, group, wheels and fork just get better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

I just got one of these. Been riding it as a commuter for 3 weeks. I love it. I was nervous about the sora parts, but they feel smoother than my 2005 campy centaur parts. I have no idea what it would be like to race. its heavy, but ive never had a cross bike before.

I have good experience with bikes, ride a road and a TT bike, and this is as fun to ride. Love the fat tires and the top bar brakes, perfect for the city.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts