Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rolled out of bed late this morning at 5:50 and almost bailed on my plan to ride to work. However, a speedy shower and quick hustle around the dimly lit apartment bought me some time. I tossed the bare essentials (work polo, deodorant & shoes) in my bag, and threw a leg over my road bike at 6:22. In front of my building, with the golden-orange glow of sunrise lining the cityscape to the east, I selected Dire Straits for this morning's commute. The weather was ideally brisk and I settled into a comfortable rhythm as I rolled north through the Bronx. By the time I reached work I was on track five, Private Investigations, of their "Best of" album. Although, when I stopped in Fort Tryon to take the picture below I did restart Sultans of Swing. How could I not? My road bike works remarkably well, despite having a completely worn out drive train. Albeit shark-toothed, the teeth on my chainrings and cassette mesh wonderfully with my stretched chain and amount to a perfectly harmonized trio of buttery smooth shifting excellence.

Click the iphone screen shot (runmeter app) below to see the mileage if you care to (7 miles).

Take care,
RB

Below: My old K2 Mod 4. A bit beat, but rides like she's tip-top!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree guys. Although, looking around on Ebay it might not cost me too much to pick up a new drive train. I've seen FSA 9speed carbon (carbon wrapped aluminum) cranksets with the BB for ~$120.

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
I just replaced the cassette and chain on my geared bike and it's like having a new bike. The cassette was way more worn than I realized. It had been shifting smoothly but making noise and just not spinning efficiently. It's a joy now. Of course, I had the stock SRAM PG950 cassette and I bought the same to replace the old one, which is very inexpensive. The cassette and a PC971 chain together were about $60.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nate said:
The cassette and a PC971 chain together were about $60.
That's awesome. I have a good Campy rear cassette. I forget what it is. Veloce maybe? I ought to just pick up the cassette online and in another week; the chain. Lastly I'll pick up, either a new crankset w/BB or just new chain rings. Then I'll make a fun project out of photographing the overhaul. I'm in no hurry but my equipment is old school. I'm still running an ancient Campy BB system with square taper spindle.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
cool

Arby said:
I agree guys. Although, looking around on Ebay it might not cost me too much to pick up a new drive train. I've seen FSA 9speed carbon (carbon wrapped aluminum) cranksets with the BB for ~$120.
Whatever you do, don't put a new chain on it.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
brandtw said:
You must have had one helluva ride home during that tornado that came through NYC!
It's a tornado now?! lol... I beat the storm home. I get out at 4:00 and was home by 4:30. At about 5:00 a storm of biblical proportions let loose!

RB

·
Registered
496 Posts
Arby said:
I rolled out of bed late this morning at 5:50 and almost bailed on my plan to ride to work. However, a speedy shower and quick hustle around the dimly lit apartment bought me some time. I tossed the bare essentials (work polo, deodorant & shoes) in my bag, and threw a leg over my road bike at 6:22. In front of my building, with the golden-orange glow of sunrise lining the cityscape to the east, I selected Dire Straits for this morning's commute. The weather was ideally brisk and I settled into a comfortable rhythm as I rolled north through the Bronx. By the time I reached work I was on track five, Private Investigations, of their "Best of" album. Although, when I stopped in Fort Tryon to take the picture below I did restart Sultans of Swing. How could I not? My road bike works remarkably well, despite having a completely worn out drive train. Albeit shark-toothed, the teeth on my chainrings and cassette mesh wonderfully with my stretched chain and amount to a perfectly harmonized trio of buttery smooth shifting excellence.

Click the iphone screen shot (runmeter app) below to see the mileage if you care to (7 miles).

Take care,
RB

Below: My old K2 Mod 4. A bit beat, but rides like she's tip-top!

Hah, that's funny, that's the park round the corner from where I used to live.

Know that wall very well. Used to stroll up to the Cloisters just for a, well a stroll.

Another old friend, code name Meltz-man lived on Fort Washington Ave, where you started. I was on Dyckman and Seaman.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome! It's a small world. I live at 190th & Fort Washington. I used to live up on Isham Street on the east side. You still in NY?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts