Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't find it online yet, but it's sure to show up on YouTube. Carl Edwards got backward about 100 yards from the finish, and the car flew just like in the old days (at 190 in reverse, it's a pretty efficient airfoil). He hit the catch fence with the roof, then crashed back to the track, got out and ran to the finish line on foot.
If they hadn't improved those catch fences several years ago, he would have gone over the wall and into the crowd for sure.

·
Quiet, daddy's drinking
5,887 Posts
Help me Tom Cruise, use your witchcraft to put the fire out.

·
Done
4,509 Posts
Cory said:
Can't find it online yet, but it's sure to show up on YouTube. Carl Edwards got backward about 100 yards from the finish, and the car flew just like in the old days (at 190 in reverse, it's a pretty efficient airfoil). He hit the catch fence with the roof, then crashed back to the track, got out and ran to the finish line on foot.
If they hadn't improved those catch fences several years ago, he would have gone over the wall and into the crowd for sure.
Carl usually does a backflip when he wins. This time, it was his car that did the backflip.

That has got to be the closest that NASCAR has come to putting one in the stands in a long time. The closest still has to be when Bobby Allison tried to knock down the wall at Talledega in '87. Check out what happened to the fence...

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Cory said:
at 190 in reverse, it's a pretty efficient airfoil.
They have popup speed brakes now on the roof of the car that auto-deploy when it gets turned around. You can see them deploy right as Edwards first gets turned around. They are still up when he goes airborne.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
mohair_chair said:
They have popup speed brakes now on the roof of the car that auto-deploy when it gets turned around. You can see them deploy right as Edwards first gets turned around. They are still up when he goes airborne.
Yeah, I don't think he got far enough around for them to break much wind.

In the pre-race coverage they did a montage of cars flyin' round at past Talladega races - some with the airflow disruptors, some without. Amazing the way they can catch air and roll and generally fly to pieces, then unhook themselves and climb out.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
obviously the only reason ppl watch these borefests is a chance to see a wreck. My dad and brother's sorry asses wouldnt come over to my bbq yesterday so they could stay home glued to the ****ing tv.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Thank you Mr Gut. I couldn't have said it better myownself. Nascar is teh suXX.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts