Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking around eBay tonight. I found a pair of Sidi shoes that looked like a decent buy for a second pair of rain shoes. I went to the calculator to find out how much shipping cost would be to Florida from San Diego where he is at. $36 was what came out. There is no way that can be how much UPS would charge for ground shipping. I asked the seller if that was right, and he told me there was a fee added for his time in shipping and packaging. Yeah right...about $26 from what I can gather. Leson here to me was always compute the shipping if he doesn't spell it out. The shoes will likely sell for around $75 I would guess, so that would make shipping/handling about another 50%. Rediculous. As you can imagine,he didn't add the response to my question to his auction. Check it out and get a laugh at how much it would be to ship to your house. Out of curiosity I put San Diego in to see how much it would be to ship to his own town. It was still over $19!

http://cgi.ebay.com/SIDI-Genius-Lorica-Road-Cycling-Shoes-for-MEN-size-45_W0QQitemZ7234936205QQcategoryZ36127QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Poseur
1,677 Posts
$39.58

To my part of FL, wow. Clays=Cleats, maybe?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Very common practice on eBay...jack the shipping price up, because you don't pay eBay fees on shipping. I've bought a few things on eBay that should have cost $100 plus shipping but were $60 or so with $45 shipping. I paid the same total cost, the seller only paid fees on $60.

Now if the clays had come with the shoes, that would have been a different story.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I have also seen a coffee table going for $10 and the shipping was $250. Also another trick is to auction off a "right to purchase" a product at $500. But the right is $1. In this case the seller saves like $15 or so on ebay fees. It adds up.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
elviento said:
another trick is to auction off a "right to purchase" a product at $500. But the right is $1.QUOTE]
Cool! Unregulared financial derivatives on ebay, in that case a call option. In theory if there was enough time to expiration (the date seller expects payment) you could auction off your call option and create a secondary market and then package up a bunch of those options to use as collateral on a loan and ....... and then if you can get a big enough house of financial cards built up the Fed will come in and bail you out when it blows up in your face.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts