Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out on a walk with my new camera. I am still learning with it, and I was surprised when I saw this first bird. I don't know if it is a hawk or a falcon. The nest it went into was occupied by a pair of Bald Eagles last summer, so I went there to look to see if they had come back. The second picture is it landing in the nest, with the other visible in the nest. The third pic was a curious little guy. He kinda followed me around like he was wondering what I was doing. I think I could have went over and picked him up had I wanted to!! Any bird experts that can tell me what the first bird is? It's beak was curved down, not pointy.
 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
40,924 Posts
useless without pics????????

oh...and picking up baby bids of prey.....uhhhhh...NOT a good idea
 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
40,924 Posts
third one is a duck
 

·
Game on, b*tches!
Joined
·
13,467 Posts
Snopro440 said:
Any bird experts that can tell me what the first bird is?
I'm thinking an Osprey.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Blue-winged Teal ... ???

The bird with blue wings could be a blue-winged teal ... ?

Snopro440 said:
I was out on a walk with my new camera. I am still learning with it, and I was surprised when I saw this first bird. I don't know if it is a hawk or a falcon. The nest it went into was occupied by a pair of Bald Eagles last summer, so I went there to look to see if they had come back. The second picture is it landing in the nest, with the other visible in the nest. The third pic was a curious little guy. He kinda followed me around like he was wondering what I was doing. I think I could have went over and picked him up had I wanted to!! Any bird experts that can tell me what the first bird is? It's beak was curved down, not pointy.
 

·
tofurkey hunting
Joined
·
4,733 Posts
so...wait, the third one is a duck? :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys!! I didn't have to worry about messing with the nest, it was at the top of a VERY tall tower. The pic of its face is identical to the ones I have of it in the nest. The Mallard, believe it or not, I knew!!! We see one or two of them up here in the North Star state!!!
 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
40,924 Posts
ampastoral said:
so...wait, the third one is a duck? :confused:
if it looks like a duck.....and quacks like a duck.............................................
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Touch0Gray said:
useless without pics????????

oh...and picking up baby bids of prey.....uhhhhh...NOT a good idea
HAHAHAHHA.. No, I meant that I probably could have picked up the duck because it was friendly and just kept following me around!! Not that I would though....
 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
40,924 Posts
ducks are tasty, osprey....probably not so much
 

·
Misfit Toy
Joined
·
23,428 Posts
I once saw an Osprey beat the crap out of a Bald Eagle.

Oh, and I agree, the last one is a duck.
 

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
Joined
·
5,930 Posts
I'm lucky enough to work in a place with many Bald Eagles and Ospreys. One of my favorite things I've seen while at work was an Osprey that had a very large carp in its talons. It was being chased by a Bald Eagle and they had a mid air fight over the carp. I ended up closest to the fish in the end.
 

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
Joined
·
9,416 Posts
HokieRider said:
I'm lucky enough to work in a place with many Bald Eagles and Ospreys. One of my favorite things I've seen while at work was an Osprey that had a very large carp in its talons. It was being chased by a Bald Eagle and they had a mid air fight over the carp. I ended up closest to the fish in the end.
When we were in Florida a couple of years ago, there was this dude fishing on the beach. He'd already caught one big honkin' fish, and suddenly he had another one on another line. As soon as he moved away from the first fish, a huge Osprey swooped down and stole it. The guy was all, "Hey!" and the Osprey was all, like, "Yoink!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,572 Posts
I was flyfishing on a creek near my home about two years ago. Quiet early morning, I'm one of three guys on what is normally a semi-crowded stream. All of a sudden I hear a HUGE SPLASH right behind me. I turned around and there was an osprey (the bird in question in the pics above, not to be confused with the duck) rising out of the strem with a 12 inch brook trout.

Interstingly, I've seen other "fishrs" on that stream as well, including a Kingfisher and a pike. The pike was pretty amazing--it waited for me to hook an 8 inch rainbow, then zoomed out of it's hiding place and slammed the trout. I reeled in a head and that was about it....
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top