Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey does anyone else (besides me) like to explore abandoned buildings??? i know it's a weird hobby of mine, but it's alotta fun.....and risky.....

check out this web site.....http://home.comcast.net/~tecsite/Index/abandon.htm.....it's my buddies site, and theres alot of the buildings i've found and explored with cool pics and sh!t. if you read any of the captions on the buildings i'm known as "forced enrty" ........fyi

yep.....thats all i wanted to say.......peace

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
Used to do that in downtown Boston when I was a kid. We'd carry up birds and beers, and try to get on top of any building we could, and then celebrate our little conquest. Got chased a couple of times by cops and security guards, but never got busted. We used to explore the underground as well, subway tunnels, drainages, access tunnels. Met some odd folks and saw a lot of rats. We graduated to playing rubber tipped dart gun tag in the same locales. Teams of two or three each would split in opposite directions with the same end destination, and try to asassinate each other before any one of us got to the agreed upon location (usually a bar - drinking age was 18 back then)

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
i heart riding said:
hey does anyone else (besides me) like to explore abandoned buildings??? i know it's a weird hobby of mine, but it's alotta fun.....and risky.....

check out this web site.....http://home.comcast.net/~tecsite/Index/abandon.htm.....it's my buddies site, and theres alot of the buildings i've found and explored with cool pics and sh!t. if you read any of the captions on the buildings i'm known as "forced enrty" ........fyi

yep.....thats all i wanted to say.......peace
we used to wander the steam tunnels at the U of I--loads of fun after taking a gram of psychedelic mushrooms or so.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
we used to wander the steam tunnels at the U of I--loads of fun after taking a gram of psychedelic mushrooms or so.

Steam tunnels and crawl spaces basements/storage areas under the U of Detroit, lots of fun. Oh, and coal celler and abandoned floors and attics of very old Catholic high school, cobblestone floors in basement gives you an idea of how old.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
For me it was buildings under construction, bring some weed and the big bottles of Brigand, Moeder Overste or some other nice Belgian beer. Not enough derelict buildings around. Taking some hallucinogenic and explore the airport was another nice passtime way before 9-11.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
for me it was old trains. There was a railway museum that only had about 5 cars which were open for the museum. But it had lots of other old cars that were in storage. We used to get into those(they were either open/unlocked or could crawl into them somehow, never vandalized anything). There was some old stuff in them like typewriters and stuff. Very dusty/dirty.

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
i heart riding said:

Check out this zine, particularly the "practice" links. Very cool and interesting: http://www.infiltration.org/

·
gazing from the shadows
27,207 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Geez, who didn't?

Actually, the black angel and the arboretum on the north side were much more to my taste.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Now if you had posted you were into THIS I'd be surprised. ;)

·
Quiet, daddy's drinking
5,887 Posts
Which U of I are we talking about?

dr hoo said:
Geez, who didn't?

Actually, the black angel and the arboretum on the north side were much more to my taste.

Could there be two black angels?

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Abandoned Mines for Me

Growing up in Nevada and having a father who runs a side business (online mineral collecting and sales site that I feel the need to plug www.crystal-mine.com) in mineral collection and exploration I have been underground more times than I can remember. Hundreds of underground workings in this state. It's more of a hobby for him than anything (retired Fed) but he's been running the business on the weekends for years and then switched online in the past couple. I always love it and have never had any problems. Great fun.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Used to...

Back in the HS and early collegiate days we considered this cool. We go into old grain elevators, factories and abandoned houses. Why... who the hell knows, but thinking of some of those old grain elevators, climbing up 7 story ladders in complete darkness with bats or pigeons flapping around not really knowing where the hell the ladder went....
creepy as hell, but exciting as well. But when we nearly lost one of my good friend's little brothers who fell through a floor up to his armpits... we stopped exploring the dark cavernous rooms.

Old factories are a little whack... the old glue factory was a way creepy, people were always dumping their dead animals and livestock out there so some of the floors had random bones scattered about... freaky. Old houses were probably the coolest, however. Old broken down homes had some of the absolute creepiest basements EVER. Talk about muther fuggin snakes and spiders... we are lucky we didnt run into a gimp or one of them Sloth dudes from The Goonies. Rickety staircases and questionable structural integrity... we are lucky none of us died... seriously.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
funknuggets said:
Back in the HS and early collegiate days we considered this cool. We go into old grain elevators, factories and abandoned houses. Why... who the hell knows, but thinking of some of those old grain elevators, climbing up 7 story ladders in complete darkness with bats or pigeons flapping around not really knowing where the hell the ladder went....
creepy as hell, but exciting as well. But when we nearly lost one of my good friend's little brothers who fell through a floor up to his armpits... we stopped exploring the dark cavernous rooms.

Old factories are a little whack... the old glue factory was a way creepy, people were always dumping their dead animals and livestock out there so some of the floors had random bones scattered about... freaky. Old houses were probably the coolest, however. Old broken down homes had some of the absolute creepiest basements EVER. Talk about muther fuggin snakes and spiders... we are lucky we didnt run into a gimp or one of them Sloth dudes from The Goonies. Rickety staircases and questionable structural integrity... we are lucky none of us died... seriously.
I used to live in an old factory we squatted, I had set up my quarters in the attic two storeys up. I had some friends over and one of them thought it would be a great idea to grab the old electric winch and hang over the shaft. "PING!" went the cable and he plummeted to the concrete floor 25 feet down. Luckily some stuck-in-a-trip idiot had put his collection of interesting branches down there and he got away with a sprained ankle. That was a bit of a wake up call.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
dr hoo said:
Geez, who didn't?

Oh yeah..the Black Angel statue...that was a really cool cemetery. Wasn't there some legend that if you touched the angel that you'd die the next day or something?

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
my old boss...

in grad school, one researcher i worked for was really into studying the homeless. he is totally fearless and intrepid about exploring abandoned buildings and other places where the homeless will settle down for the nite.

he and i explored a few houses spontaneously while driving to some meeting one time - we saw some impressive stained glass in some totally derelict old houses. in that town, he had also explored the old, big, abandoned train station with cool architecture.

he would point out places and tell you how to get in: i.e., some places would have holes in the floor, how to get through some fence, etc.

he always had his story about research so the cops wouldn't give him trouble - usually would just tell him to leave because it was unsafe.

·
Quiet, daddy's drinking
5,887 Posts
I was refering to Iowa.

dr hoo said:
Iowa, in this case. I am sure there are many black angels, though this one is in a cemetary.
I and the black angel have shared a few beers together. As for looking around old buildings the upper floor and attic of Seashore Hall were not used when I was there. Take the middle stair case up, pop the door open and you found all kinds of nifty old crap that had been placed there for storage. Also I worked in the campus information center at the Union and there were many forgotten rooms and strange places in that building.

·
Quiet, daddy's drinking
5,887 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Oh yeah..the Black Angel statue...that was a really cool cemetery. Wasn't there some legend that if you touched the angel that you'd die the next day or something?
The way I heard it was you had to kiss the black angel at midnight on Halloween to punch your ticket for the grim reeper.

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Steam tunnels under UM for me -- those lings were lit up with motion detectors. Then I got a job as rent-a-cop to pay for school and access really opened up. At one time I had been in every UM building and been on top of any with roof access. I got to chase students through the steam tunnels -- cool cat and mouse for sure. Wandered through the Gross Anatomy labs in the Med School. One night got the call for the "burning skull" incident. Lots of good times as a rent-a-cop ... then I started working as a rent-a-cop for UM Housing. I got the womens doorm! ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts