Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Fat Guy in a Little Coat
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Group ride yesterday, farily fast paced. I'd been sitting in for a while, so I broke with another rider to get to the front to pull for a while. Heck of time getting to the front, before long I was off the back, HR at 180, and could hardly get my HR down, regardless of speed, for the rest of the ride.

I figure I'll do a recovery ride this morning, an organized ride with a group of about 80 - 100 riders. I throw the bike on the stand for a once over, spin the back wheel, and it rotates 1/2 turn before stopping. The left caliper is hard against the rim. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Todays ride was great! :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I always wonder why people have their brakes set with the quick release only half way down as their normal riding position. It kind of defeats the purpose of having the most "travel" in the caliper so that you can pull your wheel off with clearance. It stands to reason that if you have your brakes set where all the way down is exactly right then you won't end up inadvertantly clamped.

I have heard that if you want to provide some theft security at rest stops that some will "clamp" their brakes and leave the bike in its tallest gear, but I don't think it is why most people do it.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
I always wonder why people have their brakes set with the quick release only half way down as their normal riding position
Two quick-fix reasons: Opens the caliper to keep a brake pad from dragging one side of the rim, and/or puts extra play into the brake lever, which helps people with small hands to get a grip on things. The emphasis is on "quick fix."

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
wim said:
Two quick-fix reasons: Opens the caliper to keep a brake pad from dragging one side of the rim, and/or puts extra play into the brake lever, which helps people with small hands to get a grip on things. The emphasis is on "quick fix."
I like very little play in my brakes, but to change the play in the calipers people should learn to use the cable barrel adjusters not the QR.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Found mine doing that today

I gave my bike a quick once over today to prepare for a group ride in the morning, I found the rear brake was just rubbing the rim. A little preventive maintance can save a lot of problems. Handsomerob, you going to do the Tour d’ La Grange tomorrow?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
jd3 said:
I gave my bike a quick once over today to prepare for a group ride in the morning, I found the rear brake was just rubbing the rim. A little preventive maintance can save a lot of problems. Handsomerob, you going to do the Tour d’ La Grange tomorrow?

If "Tour d’ La Grange" is code for yardwork and quality time with the family then absolutely :D

Seriously though, when, where, how far, and how fast?

Nevermind.... good ole google....

http://memphishightailers.clubexpress.com/content.aspx?page_id=87&club_id=631861&item_id=7872

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.