Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1979 TREK with full shimano 600 12-speed components. The rear hub is greasable (it has a small rotating locking ring around the center of the hub to cover a hold where you can grease it.

I know for a fact that the hubs have not been opened up and cleaned and regreased since before 1980. I got some phil grease, took them apart, cleaned everything with simple green automotive. Inspected all bearings and cones / races (all were in great shape). Then re-assembled. The drive-side nut stayed threaded on the outer axle, and the right side nut was the one that came off, it was (outside > in) a nut, a washer, two keyed washers, then the cone that the bearings ride on for that side, which was threaded (about 3/8" of thread).

I regreased the driver side first, then put the ball bearings in, and slid the outer axle through. Then I greased the right side, and threaded the cone on which squished it all together squirting excess grease out the drive side. I tightened about 1/4 turn looser than would lock the assembly up, and put the keyed washers on then the plain washer, then the nut.

Now that it is all together, it feels like there is an obstruction somewhere in the bearing. If I spin the wheel backwards, once it is going slow it will get to a certain point in the revolution and catch soemthing, and the pedals will go backwards about 1/20th of a turn. Then the catch will go away and the wheel will spin around again, catching on the pedals again the next revolution.

I am 100% i had good grease and did not leave any bearings out, there were 9 on each side, and i kept them separated in case they were imperceptably different sizes.

Any ideas? Did I overtighten the cone?
thanks
MIKE

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
It may not be the hub. It might be the freewheel. If you can rebuild it, look for a slightly bent pawl, or just lack of grease, general gunk, etc.

·
Registered
21,525 Posts
Grease

As Mr. Versatile said, it could be your freewheel,but it also sounds like you put too much grease in there. Grease oozing out the side suggests way to much, and all that grease is going to create friction. Plus, you should be adjusting the bearings to minimize play as long as there is no binding. Your "back it off 1/4 turn" is not the way to adjust a hub.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Another possibility.

If you adjusted the the hub so there's no play at all, it's possible that a tightly closed quick-release skewer is putting an excessive side load on it, making it bind.

Adjust the hub so that it has a tiny amount of play. Then put the wheel on the bike, close the quick-release and check your adjustment again. It may take several iterations of this tedious wheel-in/wheel-out drill to get the hub adjusted perfectly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts