Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking at checking my bike as luggage (in a borrowed case) verus shipping it 2-day UPS.

anybody done this, how much was it, etc?

Von did same on her flight to my cx races, with no issues.

insight? thanks.

-J

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
We almost always ship our bikes FedEx.

I get the wholesale price and insure the heck out of them. The advantages of shipping in advance are;

A) You can track them and make sure they show up before flying out (if they get lost you can still fly with one of your other bikes).

B) Less hassle in the airport (a big issue when flying to and from DC airports).

C) Less chance of damage if they are packed well. If you want to ship your bikes in a travel case be sure to put the case inside a box since the shippers only cover damages to contents not to the outer carton.

D) I hate how much the airlines charge for bicycles as compared to no charges for skis or golf clubs.

E) If the airline doesn't get your bicycle on the plane you are flying on you are SOL for your planned ride. Likely the airline will eventually find your bike and get it to you several days later.

OTOH on our last trip to Florida our plans were in flux until the last minute so we had to check our bikes on the plane and everything went well (better yet on the flight out of DC they forgot to charge us for the bikes, but it did cost us $80 each to get them home).

BTW isn't this a cycling discussion???

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
SD Cost

haiku d'etat said:
...how much was it, etc?...
My son flew from Midway in Chicago to San Diego over the holidays on Southwest. The charge for his bike was $50 each way. They had a bunch of juniors fyling in and out of the Chula Vista training camp and the check in desk recoginized the case as a bike right away. No problems encountered going either way. Even with his infinite charm and BS he had to pay. At least that is what he told my although I never saw a receipt. Perhaps he did fly free and pocketed the $50.

The bike case was opened on both flights by TSA. I would suggest limiting what you pack in the case itself. Some people like to load up their bike cases. My theory is keep it lighter and not P.Off the baggage handlers any more than they already are. With TSA inspecting a tidy box means a quicker visual inspection instead of wanting to haul everything out. One thing we did was put a couple of large photos of how the bike and wheels were packed so if some TSA guy gets it unpacked too far he might have a clue how to put it back in the box.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I flew from Cinci to Vancouver with my bike last year. At the time the charge was $75. I agree about loading it up, as stuff could fall out if they open it and also if it goes over 70 lbs I think they hit you again for being over weight. so $75 + $75

This is paid anytime you check it so once outbound & once on return.

They may not charge you however, on one of my legs they did not charge me, but I'm Platinum medalion.

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
i'm looking at checking my bike as luggage (in a borrowed case) verus shipping it 2-day UPS.

anybody done this, how much was it, etc?

Von did same on her flight to my cx races, with no issues.

insight? thanks.

-J
$65 AirTran, prices vary on other airlines. Call the airline you're flying with and ask. Specify that it's a bike, they charge more for bikes than "sporting equipment" (ie: large fee versus nothing).

Don't pay for your bike's return trip home on your flight out. Sometimes they forget to charge you or don't ask what's in the case. Your bike may get a free ride back home, no questions asked.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
if needed, ya'll can ship to my office but ya

better have them arrive on Wed. I'm on the bike Th and Fri. otherwise Fed ex office (main) is near the airport. I have a friend who kinda run things there.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
atpjunkie said:
better have them arrive on Wed. I'm on the bike Th and Fri. otherwise Fed ex office (main) is near the airport. I have a friend who kinda run things there.
Doesn't Hickey work for Fedex?

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
A small division of FedEx Corp, yes...I don't have anything to do with Express or Ground...

If you want to ship to the Caribbean, I'm your man....
Side question to you then since you're in the biz--say a small web retailer located in the middle of nowheresville USA (northwest iowa) wants to send a 2-3 pound package to the UK without it costing an arm and a leg. Priority US Mail is probably the cheapest, but it is impossible to trace and frequently gets delayed. Is there a carrier in that area that would be better than USPS? DHL maybe?

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
just remember

FED Ex has very strict regs as far as content. those 2-3 lb packages better be legit or choose a different provider.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Side question to you then since you're in the biz--say a small web retailer located in the middle of nowheresville USA (northwest iowa) wants to send a 2-3 pound package to the UK without it costing an arm and a leg. Priority US Mail is probably the cheapest, but it is impossible to trace and frequently gets delayed. Is there a carrier in that area that would be better than USPS? DHL maybe?
FedEx, UPS or DHL will all work...Just don't send it priority. They all offer international economy service that will give you a lower cost alternative yet still give you tracking capibilities. Even ecomony will probably arrive quicker than USPS...also if possible, keep the value of the goods less than $2500

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
for anyone planning on shipping.

I have a pick up and live close to the airport. I could go on a bike run.

atp

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
delta sez...

check-able if the container is under 62 linear inches.

L+W+H

otherwise, $100 each way. :rolleyes:

still cheaper than sending it two-day.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
atpjunkie said:
FED Ex has very strict regs as far as content. those 2-3 lb packages better be legit or choose a different provider.
Fedex isn't a good choice here--this is nowhere NW Iowa--no Fedex Centers near here just a dropoff box. UPS is the only real choice for full service shipping and maybe DHL. We're talking clothing here so no probs with regulations I think.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
i've never done curbside, how does that work.

it's an e-ticket if that matters.
It's not different other than you check your bags at the curb instead of inside. Delta should have a area to drop off bags. It doesn't make a difference if it's e-ticket.

Since 9-11, some airports don't do it anymore.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dave Hickey said:
If Memphis allows curbside check in, tip the guy $10... 50/50 chance you won't get charged

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dave Hickey said:
It's not different other than you check your bags at the curb instead of inside. Delta should have a area to drop off bags. It doesn't make a difference if it's e-ticket.

Since 9-11, some airports don't do it anymore.
then curbside, i could get my tix and everything?

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
haiku d'etat said:

After 9/11 you might not be able to do that anymore, but basically you just hand the dude your bags, give him a tip and he checks them for you so you don't have to wait in the big inside line--

another travel tip I recently found out (at least for United) is that you can check in and print out your boarding pass when you have an e-ticket via your computer 24 hours in advance of your flight. Works great. No more waiting in line at the airport till you hit security at least.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
If you are e-ticket, just give the guy your receipt...Just about all carriers have self-serve Kiosks in the terminals now, so getting a boarding pass is a breeze. you swipe a credit card or other ID and the machine prints out the boarding pass.....
even easier do it online the night before. Sometimes there is a line at those kiosks.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts