Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
You Phillip mah census
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own about 2500 jazz recordings on CD but I finally bought my first Chet Baker album today. I wasn't unfamiliar with his sound but to me he always seemed to suffer from 'Billie Holliday Syndrome' -a performer who was sometimes downright dogsh!t awful although it was sacreligious to say so because a) he was hip, b) had a habit and therefore 'inner demons', c)bled artistic integrity and had 'paid dues'.

Actually he's good. I might have to get more.

View attachment 207707

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
I just brought some "artwork" to my office to be hung. One of them is a print of Monk.

It's this one:

I've got an appreciation for Chet, but it's more for the reasons that you listed than anything else, I guess. I wouldn't list him as one of my favorites. Give me Clark Terry or Kenny Dorham any day. Then again, I'm mostly a bebop fan.

The other two posters I brought were of Elvis Costello (naturally). Which, along with this thread, made me think of this:

Chet also does the trumpet solo on Costello's Shipbuilding.

joe

·
You Phillip mah census
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Gottlieb photo of Monk is nice. I have a very similar poster from the same photo session at Mintons adorning my wall. I know you love Declan (I do too) but I think he's a bit of a dilletante when it comes to jazz. I remember Costello praising Chet to the heavens around the time of his 'Punch The Clock' release and frankly Chet was going through the motions by this time. I have the original (and superior) gatefold release of 'Shipbuilding' by Robert Wyatt. Banned by the BBC. Jerks!

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
sir duke said:
The Gottlieb photo of Monk is nice. I have a very similar poster from the same photo session at Mintons adorning my wall. I know you love Declan (I do too) but I think he's a bit of a dilletante when it comes to jazz. I remember Costello praising Chet to the heavens around the time of his 'Punch The Clock' release and frankly Chet was going through the motions by this time. I have the original (and superior) gatefold release of 'Shipbuilding' by Robert Wyatt. Banned by the BBC. Jerks!
I'm the first to admit that Costello can be a bit pretentious at times (a lot of the time), but he was a huge fan of Chet. It's kind of like his love affair with McCartney. McCartney could probably take a dump on a hot plate and Costello would love it.

Also, to be fair, it's very likely that Costello wasn't really thinking straight around the time of 'Punch the Clock' and 'Goodbye Cruel World.' :D

joe

·
You Phillip mah census
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know Costello's father was a big band arranger so maybe the young Costello got more exposure to jazz than I give him credit for. He should stay away from Charles Mingus material though, he just doesn't have the vocal chops for stuff that complex.
I get the impression that the McCartney adulation is partly ego (putting himself up for comparison-he makes it a couple of times), partly a Liverpool/Irish 'thing'. I agree Declan wasn't a happy bunny around the time he did 'Punch The Clock'. For me his peak was 'Imperial Bedroom'.

·
You Phillip mah census
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tell me more. Is there more?

·
Super Moderator
19,485 Posts
sir duke said:
Tell me more. Is there more?
Oh man... Sadly, no.

We knew we were out of luck with the Chetty stories cause the prof's daughter was enrolled at the same time we were. Arrgh!

All us jazzers could think of was the stories he might have told to the pre-daughter students and what the post-daughter ones were maybe gonna hear once she was outta there. :(

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
sir duke said:
I know Costello's father was a big band arranger so maybe the young Costello got more exposure to jazz than I give him credit for. He should stay away from Charles Mingus material though, he just doesn't have the vocal chops for stuff that complex.
I get the impression that the McCartney adulation is partly ego (putting himself up for comparison-he makes it a couple of times), partly a Liverpool/Irish 'thing'. I agree Declan wasn't a happy bunny around the time he did 'Punch The Clock'. For me his peak was 'Imperial Bedroom'.

I remember reading somewhere that Sue Mingus asked Costello to write up lyrics for Hora Decubitus. Not sure if it's because of Invisible Lady that she asked him.

He puts himself way out of his element sometimes, and I like that. Not many established musicians throw themselves out of their comfort zone every chance they get.

joe

·
You Phillip mah census
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JoeDaddio said:
I remember reading somewhere that Sue Mingus asked Costello to write up lyrics for Hora Decubitus. Not sure if it's because of Invisible Lady that she asked him.

He puts himself way out of his element sometimes, and I like that. Not many established musicians throw themselves out of their comfort zone every chance they get.

joe
I'd like it more if EC's comfort zone overlapped mine a tad more often.:) He got it right in his work with Bacharach though.That was perfection. EC more than most has earned the right to try but a lot of no-talent bums out there think singing a slow ballad is going to transform them into Peggy Lee or Tony Bennett. Bono/Sinatra, Sting/anybody comes to mind. Bjork doing 'Like Someone In Love' made my ears bleed.

·
You Phillip mah census
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the link. I'd heard the Italian stuff was some of his best. Chet doing Monk, who'd a thunk it?

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
I was hoping that this was about Chet Atkins. I am not disappointed nonetheless.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts