Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are all these rad bikes ( Yeti 575's, Prophet 4000, and today, the 3rd or 4th Epic S-Wokrs ) for sale from fake sounding names in Chicago for like $1400 or other such waaaaayyy too low prices?

Am I just missing out on the deals of the century?

Why when I email these guys is the bike "never seen dirt" and ask them what is the name of the shop they bought it from they "don't know, my uncle gave it to me"

Yah, so you bought a 575 and never took it on dirt, great!!!

Always from Chicago?? Hey if you acually end up buying any of these legit, please, please, please let me know I am missing out big time!!!!

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
bwolmarans said:
Why are all these rad bikes ( Yeti 575's, Prophet 4000, and today, the 3rd or 4th Epic S-Wokrs ) for sale from fake sounding names in Chicago for like $1400 or other such waaaaayyy too low prices?

Why when I email these guys is the bike "never seen dirt" and ask them what is the name of the shop they bought it from they "don't know, my uncle gave it to me"

Yah, so you bought a 575 and never took it on dirt, great!!!

Always from Chicago?? Hey if you acually end up buying any of these legit, please, please, please let me know I am missing out big time!!!!
A link would help us know what you are talking about. - TF

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tell the "seller" that you are currently traveling outside of the US but that you want the bike shipped to your local bike store where someone will check and hold the item for you. Offer to send a check for $500 more than they are asking, and tell them that they will need to send the $500 via Western Union to the bike store for the cost of checking and holding the item for you. They will, of course, not accept, but you will have had some fun.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
bwolmarans said:

Reality check #1: This is a scam, pure and simple. Anybody who tells you they got a great deal is a schill of the scammer.

Reality check #2: The scammer probably has never been to Chicago, or even outside of Nigeria in his life. You can address a Western Union payment anywhere you want, but it doesn't matter where it gets picked up, as long as they have the correct transfer number. 90% of these transfers get cashed in Lagos, nigeria, where internet scamming is the second largest industry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.