Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Schaumburg, IL but I really want to start training for a triathlon. The only problem is the location that I am going to practice the swimming leg. Doing lap after lap in a pool isn't emulating lake michigan or another body of water very well. Where and how do you train for the swimming leg?

Thanks,
James

·
Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
930 Posts
Hey James, I'm not a Tri-dude, but I've done the bike leg on a couple relayteams. I was wondering if you were doing the olympic distance down near Bloomington next month. If so, keep an eye out for the bike route marshall(me). I'm volunteering at this, just to see some of my buds competing.

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4bykn said:
Hey James, I'm not a Tri-dude, but I've done the bike leg on a couple relayteams. I was wondering if you were doing the olympic distance down near Bloomington next month. If so, keep an eye out for the bike route marshall(me). I'm volunteering at this, just to see some of my buds competing.
Oh god no dude. I haven't swam in 3 years; and I haven't run more than 4 miles in at least 2 years. There is no way I would be ready for an olympic triathlon next month. My goal is to do a sprint tri by the end of the year or early next year, and an olympic by the end of next year. I wouldn't be able to afford it for awhile, either.

Maybe next year ;)

·
Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
930 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
Oh god no dude. I haven't swam in 3 years; and I haven't run more than 4 miles in at least 2 years. There is no way I would be ready for an olympic triathlon next month. My goal is to do a sprint tri by the end of the year or early next year, and an olympic by the end of next year. I wouldn't be able to afford it for awhile, either.

Maybe next year ;)
Here's a link to our events near Bloomington, maybe about 2-3 hour drive from you. The "Tri-Shark" in June fills up fast, but the Evergreen race still has openings. http://tri-shark.org/

·
I Type, Therefore I Am
1,842 Posts
golzy said:
...but I think most of the triathletes swim out of Oak Street beach.
Actually, it's Ohio Street beach. The Chicago Tri club sets up a buoy at the turn for the olympic distance swim (at least they used to. might want to confirm this). You swim along the shoreline (N) from the beach. Years ago, this is where the Chicago Sun-Times triathlon started. That tri became Mrs T's and they tried a few different starting places (swimming around the Shedd Aquarium was interesting) before settling upon Monroe harbor. The tri then became the Accenture tri as it is today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.