Sun November 23-Woodstock
Sun December 7-Montrose-IL State Cyclocross Championships
Dates subject to change
USA Cycling Event Permit Pending

·
Registered
33 Posts
up where?

I have been checking the chicrosscup.com site and nothing is up yet, but they are horrificly slow with updates as well as posting results (unless you're in the top 5 each race). Where did you get this schedule?

tomk96 said:
2008 CHICAGO CYCLOCROSS CUP SCHEDULE

Sat September 13-CX Clinic (TBD)
Sun September 21-Jackson Park
Sun October 5- DeKalb
Sun October 12-Hawthorn Woods
Sun October 19-Carpentersville
Sun October 26-Bartlett
Sun November 2-St. Charles
Sat November 8-TBD
Sun November 9-Northbrook
Sun November 16-Lansing
Sun November 23-Woodstock
Sun December 7-Montrose-IL State Cyclocross Championships
Dates subject to change
USA Cycling Event Permit Pending

·
Captain Obvious
11,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i assumed that they added it to their site. they didn't do that. they are pretty slow updating things there. i had read the e-mail and posted for those that don't get it.

·
Captain Obvious
11,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BetterThanAliens said:
I'm thinking of doing my first CX race this season. What is a good race in the Chicagoland area to try for a newbie?
i'd say any of them. many of the chicago races will be new this year. after the first race last year, the split the 4's into 4A and 4B. I think they have 80 racers that day. if anything you may want to e-mail them and see if they are going to start with two groups and start in the 4B's. There will be much less traffic that way.

if those don't fit your schedule, there will be plenty in WI and many won't be too far over the border.

·
Registered
217 Posts
That is the correct schedule. We will be having a 4a and 4b again this year. Since I promote JP, I would say that is a great race to start with. It's pretty flat, but will have some fun technical sections in addition to last years tech sections. Last year the hardest part of the race was dealing with the heat.:) We are going to make a much better effort this year of getting everyones results on the website. This was partly due to the officials being oerloaded in certain races. We have adjusted the schedule this year in the hope of making it easier on everyone.

Thanks

·
Captain Obvious
11,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gripped said:
Is this because 80 is considered too many on the course or that the cat 4 covers such a wide range of ability?
seemed like both last year.

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
tomk96 said:
seemed like both last year.
Guess I have to chuckle since the NE and NW regularly see single field sizes north of the 80 rider figure.

I do get the wide range of abilities though. In the NW (and other places too), they split fields into cat 4 and cat 4 masters (whatever age break you decide).

·
Registered
217 Posts
Gripped said:
Guess I have to chuckle since the NE and NW regularly see single field sizes north of the 80 rider figure.

I do get the wide range of abilities though. In the NW (and other places too), they split fields into cat 4 and cat 4 masters (whatever age break you decide).
We started splitting the 4's because there was a fairly big gap in ability in the 4's, as well as the officials were having a tough time keeping track of all the riders.

With new upgrade rules for this year I expect the 3's to be a much larger field, so the splitting of the 4's might not be necessary, but we have received really good feedback from racers about giving the true beginner a place to race and be competitive. So for the time being we will keep the two 4's fields.

·
Captain Obvious
11,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gregdogg62 said:
We started splitting the 4's because there was a fairly big gap in ability in the 4's, as well as the officials were having a tough time keeping track of all the riders.

With new upgrade rules for this year I expect the 3's to be a much larger field, so the splitting of the 4's might not be necessary, but we have received really good feedback from racers about giving the true beginner a place to race and be competitive. So for the time being we will keep the two 4's fields.
i found it helpful. last year was my first 'cross season. it kept the course a little more open and seemed like you were actually racing other people, as opposed to the large mass that was the JP race. it seemed like there were decent turnouts at each race, so i think others like it as well.

·
Captain Obvious
11,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TurboTurtle said:
I was told this past weekend that ChiCross does not allow disc brakes. True? - TF
false. my wife raced with them.

UCI races don't allow disc brakes. Chicago races aren't UCI.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.