Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time back we were discussing routes west from southeast Lake Co and came up with nothing between Deerfield Rd and Old Rockland or Oak Spring that goes across the Des Plaines. Went exploring today and if you do not mind a bit of crushed stone:

West on Everett until it ends
Lerft/South into Wright Woods FP
When you get to the parking lot, take the trail to the right/east that goes around the pond (crushed granite).
Take the first trail right (triangle intersection).
Go straight at the next trail crossing and over the bridge.
Cross a small bridge and take the first trail right (ignore the "authorized only" sign). This will come out in the maintenace parking lot.
Follow the blacktop park road staying right to the entrance/exit to Milwaukee/Rt 21.
Go across Milwaukee onto Woodland.
Follow Woodland around to Rt 45
Left on 45 for about 100 yards.
Right on Port Clintion
Left on Buffalo Grove
Right back onto Port Clinton
Right on Blue Heron (Subdivision entrance)
Left on Teal
Straight onto Oakwood. You have go around a gate on a paved path on the left side.
Straight across Rt 83 and you are on Gilmer Rd.
Out Gilmer and you begin the world of great cycling roads.

TF

· midnight melon mounter
6,625 Posts
You know, having looked at this again using the satellite maps, this is better than fantastic. This is brilliant - the best thing I've learned on this site in 6 years. I absolutely love this kind of information.

· Registered
66 Posts
*rubs eyes*

I'm not an expert, but did you ride on road tires on the limestone trails? I've always been iffy on riding my R1000 on granite trails so I bought an urban bike. What kind of tires were you using TT?

I really appreciate your post, this has been added to my notebook of rides.

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
velodev said:
*rubs eyes*

I'm not an expert, but did you ride on road tires on the limestone trails? I've always been iffy on riding my R1000 on granite trails so I bought an urban bike. What kind of tires were you using TT?

I really appreciate your post, this has been added to my notebook of rides.
I did it with 700x23 Mich Pro Race tires with no problem. Very well packed and in good condition. - TF

· midnight melon mounter
6,625 Posts
Hi Turtle,

I'm taking the Turin ride over this route on Sunday.

Everett
your route
Gilmer
Hawley
Midlothian
Winchester
Oak Spring
St. Mary's
Old School - etc., back to Evanston

I think it should be about 80 miles.

Thanks again.

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alex-in-Evanston said:
Hi Turtle,

I'm taking the Turin ride over this route on Sunday.

Everett
your route
Gilmer
Hawley
Midlothian
Winchester
Oak Spring
St. Mary's
Old School - etc., back to Evanston

I think it should be about 80 miles.

Thanks again.
If you really like my routes, you could take them to Wilmot, WI and do the Ramble instead. (Just a little Spammy) I finished painting the loops today. - TF

http://www.bikebclc.com/default/default.htm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.