Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

natural childbirth or epideral?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I'm trying to talk Boo out of getting an epideral because my Baptist preacher said in Sunday School that God put the burden of childbirth on the mother and that the pain creates a stronger bond between her and the child, and it cost $500! She had the sweet medicine blocking her pain for her first two offspring but she was 18 and 21, now's she's 30 and tougher I tell her. She says if she doesnt get one she'll stab me in the liverz during labor. Any natural childbirthers here?

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i'm not really that religious but if her mom is playing the bible card about circumcision and i'm all or nothing baby!

I dont think epideral's really are bad for the baby either.

I dont have the money is the real issue:(

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jpelaston said:
tough it out... the pathway out was cleared by the frist two!
right? the third time she drops calf should be no problem.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Guys telling women what to do when it comes to having a baby - cracks me up. Especially preachers, they doubly crack me up.

God made it painful to build a bond? Give me a break.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Andrea138 said:
From what I've heard, the pain isn't quite as intense if no labor inducing drugs are used.

//relatively speaking
yeah pitocin i guess makes the labor pains more intense but there are other ways of inducing labor:thumbsup:

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
terry b said:
Guys telling women what to do when it comes to having a baby - cracks me up. Especially preachers, they doubly crack me up.

God made it painful to build a bond? Give me a break.
but he was dead on when he said guys can have secks right after an argument but wimmen need hours of foreplay and build up like a volcano

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
You're going about this the wrong way. You need to find some women that Boo admires or feels are competition in some way and get them to tell about how they gave birth without drugs, etc. If Boo has a cometitive bone in her body she then will want to show that she is as tough and strong as they are. Nothing any man can say ever will really influence a woman to do something or not do something with respect to pregnancy or childbirth.

Mrs. S had both of our girls without any drugs whatsoever. I am convinced that the reason Mrs. S did not get any drugs the first time was that several of her friends had done it that way and she was not going to be a wimp. Our second daughter came pretty quickly -- she was born less than two hours after we arrived at the hospital, so there was no time for drugs. And, by the way, Mrs. S walked from home to the hospital both times. (NOTE: The front door of our house was closer to the front door of the hospital than it was from the hospital parking deck to the front door of the hospital, But, it does make for a good story.)

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MarkS said:
You're going about this the wrong way. You need to find some women that Boo admires or feels are competition in some way and get them to tell about how they gave birth without drugs, etc. If Boo has a cometitive bone in her body she then will want to show that she is as tough and strong as they are. Nothing any man can say ever will really influence a woman to do something or not do something with respect to pregnancy or childbirth.

Mrs. S had both of our girls without any drugs whatsoever. I am convinced that the reason Mrs. S did not get any drugs the first time was that several of her friends had done it that way and she was not going to be a wimp. Our second daughter came pretty quickly -- she was born less than two hours after we arrived at the hospital, so there was no time for drugs. And, by the way, Mrs. S walked from home to the hospital both times. (NOTE: The front door of our house was closer to the front door of the hospital than it was from the hospital parking deck to the front door of the hospital, But, it does make for a good story.)
I've totally been trying that route, we have a friend who is a big ole healthy country gal that spits one out about every year and a half sans drugs but Boo isnt buying that comparison since she wrings chicken necks w/ her hands Boo asks if I want her to do that too. Most of the gals we know schedule C sections whether they need them or not nowadays to keep their cooter from gettin torn up but I say you can't hurt them things, they're made of hognose material.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
gutfiddle said:
but he was dead on when he said guys can have secks right after an argument but wimmen need hours of foreplay and build up like a volcano

If it's taking him hours to get his woman to explode like a volcano, I think he doesn't know as much as you're giving him credit for.

·
Hermia commutes
1,496 Posts
if you're not spitting the baby out of one of your orifices, you don't get much of a say in whether those orifices get desensitized for the process. sorry.

as for baby's health, i don't think it matters either way.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
terry b said:
If it's taking him hours to get his woman to explode like a volcano, I think he doesn't know as much as you're giving him credit for.
womern's having orgasms is an urban legend, like santa claus or democracy

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
my wife had 4 kids with no pain-killer (other than a local for episiotomy) and I didn't feel a thing

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Touch0Gray said:
my wife had 4 kids with no pain-killer (other than a local for episiotomy) and I didn't feel a thing
Boo says "nice, real nice":thumbsup:

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
If I'm right about this, neither you nor the preacher is going to be having the baby, which means you don't get to vote. Plus the preacher is an idiot, but this isn't the time to insult a man of the cloth. Even if he's an idiot. Which your preacher is. Ask him to explain how enduring pain strenghthens the bond. The idiot. I'd stab you both in the liver right now if you were in the room.
Having said that, my wife delivered two kids without anesthesia, not as the result of planning but because she kept putting it off ("I don't need it yet. Can we wait a minute more?") until the babies popped out.
Your head is in WAY the wrong place here, though. You need to be focusing on your wife and getting that idiot preacher the hell away from her. And you need a new church, if not a new religion.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.