Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas on dissuading my son from buying bikes for $10 from toothless bums in the park? Reasoning with him hasn't been cutting the mustard, if you know what I mean. I'm thinking of sending him to school with a card that can only be used to buy food at the school cafeteria. He's a bright kid, but ethically challenged.
 

·
Custom User Title
Joined
·
359 Posts
Are these Wally-World specials or nice bikes?
cuz if they're nice bikes i'll buy one from him for $50. :rolleyes:

Does he realize he's (probably) buying stolen property?
 

·
I want a Road Bike :)
Joined
·
4,111 Posts
bicyclerepairman said:
He's a bright kid, but ethically challenged.


what happened to "teach by example"??!?!
:D


j/k

IDKWYTABIDHK
Idon'tknowwhatyou'retalkingaboutbecauseIdon'thavekids
 

·
Genitive Declensioner
Joined
·
12,146 Posts
bicyclerepairman said:
Any ideas on dissuading my son from buying bikes for $10 from toothless bums in the park? Reasoning with him hasn't been cutting the mustard, if you know what I mean. I'm thinking of sending him to school with a card that can only be used to buy food at the school cafeteria. He's a bright kid, but ethically challenged.
child rearing I'm still in the learning phase....childmaking, on the other hand, I think I'm more than knowledgeable
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jacman said:
Are these Wally-World specials or nice bikes?
cuz if they're nice bikes i'll buy one from him for $50. :rolleyes:

Does he realize he's (probably) buying stolen property?
I said he was ethically challenged, not intellectually challenged. The bike is certainly stolen. If it wasn't stolen, I wouldn't care. He knows how I feel. I also know that if I came down hard on him, he would just become more devious, and keep these kinds of purchases at friend's garages. I've thought of having a bunch of my friends he doesn't know dress up as bums and chase him, but I've thought better of this since there could be unintended consequences (Headline: "Three local men were shot by police today in a stunt gone awry....").

There are a lot of high school kids doing this, and scoring bikes for little money gives them bragging rights, which includes rebelling against an example I've tried to set for him (in the vernacular of my youth, "Dad just doesn't get it; he's such a square..."). I've also told him that if the real owner of the bike sees him, he might be kind of upset.
 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
40,886 Posts
buying stolen goods is a crime too is it not?
 

·
Beetpull DeLite
Joined
·
12,749 Posts
Tell him to punch the bum in the face and ride off on the bike. Then post it around to find out whom it was stolen from and return it. Problem solved.
 

·
Done
Joined
·
4,509 Posts
bicyclerepairman said:
Any ideas on dissuading my son from buying bikes for $10 from toothless bums in the park? Reasoning with him hasn't been cutting the mustard, if you know what I mean. I'm thinking of sending him to school with a card that can only be used to buy food at the school cafeteria. He's a bright kid, but ethically challenged.
Yell at Junior and take the bike to the police and turn it in. Tell the police that you found it, and that you believe that it is stolen. If they run their bike impound lot like they to here in Fairfax county, the police will take your name, hold the bike for a while, and then call you if nobody claims it.

If nobody claims it, pick the bike up from the police and then donate it to a charity that sends bikes off to developing countries.

Repeat every time Junior brings home an obviously stolen bike. He will get the message eventually.
 

·
Low rep power
Joined
·
6,264 Posts
Plus, let him know that this kind of thing increases the potential for a bike of his to be stolen one of these days.

Take his ipod and trade it for one of the bikes, them proudly announce what a great deal you got?

Ultimately, you're the parent, he's the kid. You make the rules.
 

·
Captain Obvious
Joined
·
11,876 Posts
GirchyGirchy said:
Tell him to punch the bum in the face and ride off on the bike. Then post it around to find out whom it was stolen from and return it. Problem solved.
winner
 

·
Just Plain Bitter
Joined
·
8,602 Posts
saf-t said:
Plus, let him know that this kind of thing increases the potential for a bike of his to be stolen one of these days.

Take his ipod and trade it for one of the bikes, them proudly announce what a great deal you got?

Ultimately, you're the parent, he's the kid. You make the rules.
^^^I like this idea^^^. Sounds like a typical teenager to me who needs a swift kick in the a$$. I have a couple of those here. Sometimes it doesn't even matter if you kick em in the a$$ they still don't listen.
 

·
Seat's not level
Joined
·
19,371 Posts
bicyclerepairman said:
Any ideas on dissuading my son from buying bikes for $10 from toothless bums in the park? Reasoning with him hasn't been cutting the mustard, if you know what I mean. I'm thinking of sending him to school with a card that can only be used to buy food at the school cafeteria. He's a bright kid, but ethically challenged.
Here is some mustard for you...
View attachment 209259


Does you kid also do this?
View attachment 209260
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
Why don't you tell him that the bum is most likely selling it near wherever he stole it. When its rightful owner spots your son on his bike, your son will either catch a beating or be arrested. Not worth it.
 

·
Bacon!
Joined
·
9,190 Posts
Damn, if I had done that my life would have ended. My dad would have sold off everything possession I own. And I would have been whipped with a belt to finish it off.

Good grief, get a grip on your kid before he becomes a leach on society in County Lockup. I'd take everything he owns and stick it in storage and tell him you sold it to a bum for 25.00. Maybe he'll get the message. If he continues this crap kick his a$$ out of the house the second he turns 18 and let him figure out the real world.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I appreciate all the responses (thanks for the mustard....how did you know that was my favorite kind?). But in particular, thank you Mr. Taylor. I'll keep y'all posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,185 Posts
bicyclerepairman said:
I said he was ethically challenged, not intellectually challenged. The bike is certainly stolen. If it wasn't stolen, I wouldn't care. He knows how I feel. I also know that if I came down hard on him, he would just become more devious, and keep these kinds of purchases at friend's garages. I've thought of having a bunch of my friends he doesn't know dress up as bums and chase him, but I've thought better of this since there could be unintended consequences (Headline: "Three local men were shot by police today in a stunt gone awry....").

There are a lot of high school kids doing this, and scoring bikes for little money gives them bragging rights, which includes rebelling against an example I've tried to set for him (in the vernacular of my youth, "Dad just doesn't get it; he's such a square..."). I've also told him that if the real owner of the bike sees him, he might be kind of upset.
TouchOGray got it. Buying stolen goods is illegal.

Next, think about taking one of those bikes and selling to to somebody dirt cheap, just so he knows what the real owner is going through. Then again, he still wouldn't know what the real owner is going through because he didn't spend hundreds, maybe thousands, of dollars on the bike.

He will also have to learn that a good reputation takes a very, very long time to create and earn, but it doesn't take much to flush it down the toilet. I know people that have lied to me for YEARS, and even if they were to tell me the truth today I would not believe them.

Hopefully, he will grow out of this phase. Sadly, somebody I know that is about to turn 38 has not. He has plenty of money, yet he still does stupid stuff like this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
bicyclerepairman said:
I've thought of having a bunch of my friends he doesn't know dress up as bums and chase him, but I've thought better of this since there could be unintended consequences
Actually this sounds like an effective idea. Haven't you seen Arrested Development :D ?
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top