Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is 10 and its time to get him a new bike. I would prefer to get him a decent road cycle, however it seems my choices are:

1. Trek KDR already built for 600.00
2. Colnago (dont want to know what it will cost after buying mine)

I would love to get him a Colnago decked out in Campy gear, but thats not going to happen. I would not mind having my bike guy build him a bike with the Trek frame but could not find a source for just the frame.

I am not a "bike geek", could not build one if I tried. So, are their other cycling frames for children available? Are components limited to those found on the Trek KDR, or could he have a better drive train/wheel set?

Any help is appreciated.

· Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
I would recommend getting a mountain bike instead of a road bike, unless your son has specifically requested a road bike.

Most children prefer to ride mountain bikes. They want to fit in with their friends and their friends will be riding mountain bikes. Children, in general, abuse their bikes and mountain bikes hold up to abuse better. Most 10 year olds would not want to have to check tire pressure daily as is required for road bike tires. Flats are much more common on road bikes than on mountain bikes (ridden on the same roads).

Children often grow rapidily in a short time. Road bikes are more sensitive to size changes than are mountain bikes.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the input Mike and may end up doing that. I was just thinking of getting him into the sport early, I guess riding is riding and could still have him tag along to get his riding muscles in shape.

(He did 16 miles on a BMX bike the other day, runs a 5k in 21.5 minutes...very athletic kid)

· Registered
96 Posts
I found a nice like new "Giant" road bike used on E-Bay

for my 10 year old, (50 cm frame, 30 inch standover height) index shifting on the down tube, double chainwheel 6 gear freewheel, double butted tube steel frame .( $150.) a great first road bike for my kid .he loves it if you can't tune it up take it to your local bike shop and have all the bearings regreased etc.

· Registered
1,808 Posts
Both my kids started road biking on a small Cannondale (43cm I think) with 105 brifters. Personally I'd try to do it on the cheap - skinny tires, no curb hopping, no dirt riding, etc. tends to make road riding boring for the younger ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.