Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally the built the cross bike I wanted! I was just going for light and colorful, it seems to fit the bill.
Frame: Salsa Chili con crosso 51cm
fork: Alpha CX
HS: CK rasta
Wheels: CK to DT R1.1 / DT 240's to HI-E tubular w/tufo's / Zipp 303's w/grifo's
drivetrain: XTR and DA
Ultegra shifter, WCS stem, EA70 bar, Nokon cables and FSA saddle

right under 16.5lbs, maybe under 16 with Zipps

·
mtbdcd
149 Posts
I have a question on Headtube length on the Salsa's from their Geometry chart. I assume the length is without the upper/lower headset races? Yours should have been 140mm without the headset? At least according to the chart.
I have long legs, so long head tubes are nicer for me. Allows me to run the stem horizontal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The top tube is 140mm without cups. It is 170mm bottom cup to top of seal on HS and 230mm from bottom cup to the top of my stem with 20mm of spacers.
Thanks for the compliment on the looks. Mine was the first Chili I have looked at closely and I am really impressed.

·
aka Zoo
763 Posts
Very nice looking. Didn't know the newer XTR derailleurs looked like that, very cool. Have fun with it!!

·
mtbdcd
149 Posts
Thanks for measurements.
Looks much nicer than the pics on their website.
This is the fork the frameset comes with, correct?
How tall are you?
Do you know if QBP still sells Salsa framesets to dealers?

I had a Salsa DosNiner a couple of years back, and it had quite a bit of top tube give/flex.

How is this bike for lateral stiffness?

Riding impressions, if you have ridden it much?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is the fork that comes with the bike, the matching paint on the tips and logo are a nice touch. I am 5'9" with a 74cm saddle height and a fairly short torso. I haven't ridden the bike enough to give a judgment on stiffness and overall performance. My last ride included a couple of small jumps and the bike felt solid, of course my road bike is a steel Gunnar. My first impressions are great on this bike, hopefully I won't find too many things to gripe about!!

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Is that bar tape wrapped around your chainstay? If so, that's a good idea.

·
mtbdcd
149 Posts
PBBreath,
Are you sure on this? I know when i got my DosNiner, any QBP dealer(account holder) could order a Salsa frame. But now based on emails from Salsa, the dealer has to also be an authorized Salsa dealer. Kind of weird that Salsa would do this.
I like to buy from the shop that sponsors me and they as most are a QBP dealer(account). But not a Salsa authorized dealer, and i doubt have any interest in becoming one.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
mtbdcd said:
But now based on emails from Salsa, the dealer has to also be an authorized Salsa dealer. Kind of weird that Salsa would do this.
The policy that QBP has posted (dated 01/08) doesn't indicate that this would be so, with a possible exception for dealers who are within an exclusive territory granted to another shop.

Anything you have seen directly from Salsa in the meantime may supercede this policy though, so its worth a check. Probably also worth having your dealer contact QBP directly and see if they can work something out. Presumably, they want to sell frames.

·
mtbdcd
149 Posts
I'm having the my dealer check now with QBP.
Small bike mfg's sometimes shoot themselve in the foot when they will only sell through authorized dealers. Most dealers do not want to carry many different lines of bikes. Most dealers only want to be authorized for the biggies.
But willing to order from a smaller mfg's or distributors like QBP.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
How do you plan to use the bike? I see right now you have a similar wheel set to what I have for road training and lighter dirt. The gearing choice suggests otherwise. How does it ride? I suggest some "Bonk" film for your DT. Again, nice job!

·
aka Zoo
763 Posts
Dajianshan said:
How do you plan to use the bike? I see right now you have a similar wheel set to what I have for road training and lighter dirt. The gearing choice suggests otherwise. How does it ride? I suggest some "Bonk" film for your DT. Again, nice job!
Looks like those DTs are 28 spoke wheels,don't see why those wouldn't hold up just fine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It is intended for cross racing. The gearing is the same that I rode last year and a few of my friends run the same. I have those wheels on right now for training and getting used to the feel of the bike. My race wheelsets are tubular wheels, I did however race a set of DT R1.1's last year and they held up just fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.