Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past couple of long rides (50-60miles) right after i get home and for a couple hours afterwards i get a bad case of the chills. Last night my teeth were chattering after i got out of the shower and its not even cold in the house. I had to put on pants and a hoodie in freaking June! :rolleyes: Its really wierd and i've never had that happen before. Last night was a 60mile, 3.5 hours and along the ride i drank water and a can of coke.
Anyone ever experience this before or have any ideas of the cause and solution?

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Dehydration maybe? Are you drinking enough liquids when you ride? You should be packing a bottle which contains electrolytes. I pack one bottle of plain water and one sports drink (you can make your own). The only time I drink coke is if I am in danger of bonking. Coke has too much sugar, you will feel good for awhile, then you will crash.

What is the weather like when you ride, is it hot and humid?

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was a nice night, dry with temps in the 70s.
I might have been some dehydration since i've been pretty thristy this morning. I'll switch up the coke to something different however gatorade doesn't agree with me too well.Im also thinking my body was just really drained last night since i ate at 3:45pm went out at 5:45pm and didn't get back to 9:30pm so that was almost 6hours that i didn't eat and usually i'm an every 3 hours eater.

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Well 70'sF isn't usually hot enough for heat exhaustion, which was my first guess. But it it's sunny and 79 and you're up North somewhere so you're not acclimated, that could be it.

But it also sounds like dehydration. Just drink water, not coke, not gatorade, just water. And do it all day long before and after your rides. Also sounds like you're not eating enough during the day. If you starve yourself all day, a 60 miler's gonna suck you dry regardless of what you eat during the ride. If you eat a normal healthy diet, you can knock out a long one with just a banana along the way.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Same here, after an only 30 mile hard effort. I had to turn on the car heater,
and it was almost 80 degrees outside. This was while using Cytomax.

·
(not a real racer)
484 Posts
I'm gonna go with dehydration. I get gallbladder attacks every once in a while and I can't keep anything down, not even water. The times I've ended up in the hospital because of it I've had bad dehydration and an IV of whatever they use to rehydrate me, that is accompanied by the shivers. I think it's a reactionary function of the body.

·
Proud luddite
7,920 Posts
I agree with the others....sounds like classic symptoms of dehydration. Like others have already suggested here, just try to drink more during your ride. And I will also add that you should try to keep hydrated between rides too, as this will reduce the likelihood of becoming dehydrated during a ride. Living in the desert, I have come to learn about this stuff the hard way and I have grown to become very aware of my body's need to be properly hydrated.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Agree...fluids were low and you may be calorie deficient for the extended output. Are your ankles or fingers swollen? That and high salt usually promote that for my body and I have to drink more water to balance out. Any leg cramps during or following?

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea dehydration combined with be being carb depleted seems to be the culprit. I actually drink quoite a lot of water (its all i drink aside from coffee) usually over a gallon a day but i ran out of water towards the end of the ride and that combined with no food did a number on me.
I didnt have any swollen fingers or cramps and was 6lbs lighter this morning (definte carb depletion). I wasn't planning on doing the ride yesterday but a buddy of mine called and we went. Normally i would have eaten more carbs prior to the ride if i had known. I'll plan it out better next time.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Chills after a long, hard ride are not uncommon - I wouldn't worry about it. It's happened to me in the past, though not recently.

More than likely, it is just your body trying to stabilize its temperature after a long, hard effort - you have fully dilated blood vessels in your skin during exertion to get rid of heat from your working muscles, and then you suddenly stop exercising. If your body responds a little slowly and the blood vessels don't contract, that could result in too rapid cooling and then chills (i.e. shivering, or muscle contractions) to warm back up. I'm not a physiologist, though, so I hope that someone with more knowledge will chime in.

I would think that the recommendation to do a cool down after a hard ride is probably the best advice, to give your body time to adjust to the reduced workload, but I don't think the chills are dangerous so I wouldn't sweat it (pun intended).

I've been unable to find any references linking chills to dehydration. Can anyone provide such?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.