Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Chilly, hilly ride with a cool discovery

I attempted to go on a group ride in my favorite climbing area near Auburn, CA. The ride leader used the classic cyclist talk about being out of shape due to not riding for 3 weeks and eating too much homemade English toffee. I actually believed it, only to watch him ride away from many of us, followed by everyone else riding away from me. This happened within the first few miles, when I wasn't warmed up yet.

On the way back to my truck (with frozen toes in spite of neoprene toe warmers), I spotted a place called Trailhead Coffee & Cycling Lounge, so I decided to check it out and get something to eat. I had never been there, but the name sounded vaguely familiar.

There is also a bike shop there.

When I left, my toes were warm but my hands, which had been toasty warm thanks to full-fingered gloves, were cold from putting those sweaty gloves back on. When I got back to my truck I turned the heater on full blast to thaw out. It took a while, as the temperatures that day were in the low 40s.

At the Hammerin' Wheels picnic few months ago, I met Matthew, the rider who was hit by a car from behind and critically injured almost two years ago. He said he enjoyed my videos, and he used his GoPro on his helmet to record a few of his own rides.

I helped him make his first two videos, and I've ridden with him several times. He has traumatic brain injury from the accident, but he is still a very strong cyclist. We've been riding singlespeeds around town (his is a 48x17 fixed gear, mine is 42x17 singlespeed). I took him to yesterday's ride, and as usual he flew right up Chili Hill and Baxter Grade. We both rode geared bikes for this ride, of course.

Here's Matthew's beautiful Colnago after we drove through the rain that we thankfully avoided during our rides. I couldn't take my eyes off it.

When the other riders showed up after their longer group ride, I told the ride leader about Trailhead. He told me they were a sponsor of the Ride4Matt. I will definitely be back there again. Any business that is cycling friendly is OK in my book. :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GREAT photos of the shop. I so want the Cinelli.

It is so not cool for a ride leader to drop everyone.
Thanks :) I liked the Cinelli too, especially since I am getting into singlespeed riding more and more.

To the ride leader's credit, he did send out an apology for not waiting at the regroups long enough. He said riders were getting cold, and the regroups were often at the tops of climbs, which means a nice cold descent.

Normally I avoid hammerhead rides like the plague because I know I can't hang, but when he said he hadn't ridden for 3 weeks and had put on weight, I thought I stood a chance of keeping up. Classic cyclist speak on his part! :lol:

Whenever a rider says they haven't ridden for a while, are out of shape, or recovering from an illness, you just know they are going to make you suffer! :D

·
Registered
661 Posts
I used to ride with a group where it seemed like the goal for was everyone on the front trying to drop everyone else. Not much fun.
Then I found a group that understands the group ride concept. Still, every once in awhile someone new will come along, and when they get to the front try to show us how strong they are. We let them go.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have been invited to group rides, but for that very reason have not taken any offers. I am more of a cruising site seeing rider anyway, so for me to get with a bunch of racers or wannabes is no place for me. I watched your vid so not cool of them to poof off on you like that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.