Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll start. Did the Chilly Hilly this morning with JP and rcnute. The Chilly Hilly is the annual kickoff event for Cascade Cycling Club and is held on Bainbridge Island. The route is around 33 miles with 2800 feet of climbing. According to Garmin, there were six different 13% grades and one 18%. Around 5000 riders participate, many of them on the bike for the first time this year. I got to see incredibly high end bikes with out of shape riders, tons of standard PNW bikes (steel frames, old components, fenders with mudflaps), and a handful of Kmart specials. JP did it on a single speed, rcnute rode his Long Haul Trucker complete with front basket, and I rode the commuter. The weather started out cold and rainy but got better throughout the ride.

JP has pictures as well.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
a couple more

People and bikes. JP's SS infront of my Gunnar. Group shot, rcnute and I, all three.

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
Cool.

But why won't anyone tell me about the doughnuts? I just got off the trainer after feeling like a slob for not going, and now I'm hungry for doughnuts.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OldEndicottHiway said:
Cool.

But why won't anyone tell me about the doughnuts? I just got off the trainer after feeling like a slob for not going, and now I'm hungry for doughnuts.
I discussed them in the lounge. With your dialup you should see it in about an hour.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
bigbill said:
I'll start. Did the Chilly Hilly this morning with JP and rcnute. The Chilly Hilly is the annual kickoff event for Cascade Cycling Club and is held on Bainbridge Island. The route is around 33 miles with 2800 feet of climbing. According to Garmin, there were six different 13% grades and one 18%. Around 5000 riders participate, many of them on the bike for the first time this year. I got to see incredibly high end bikes with out of shape riders, tons of standard PNW bikes (steel frames, old components, fenders with mudflaps), and a handful of Kmart specials. JP did it on a single speed, rcnute rode his Long Haul Trucker complete with front basket, and I rode the commuter. The weather started out cold and rainy but got better throughout the ride.

JP has pictures as well.
"incredibly high end bikes with out of shape riders" - are you referring to me there?? My 215lb arse on a Cannondale Synapse? Or is that not really high end? I've got the out of shape part down anyway ;)

My buddy Troy and I parked at the Ferry lot on Bainbridge and as we rode around the parking lot to test our equipment, he started up a small hill and his rear derailleur exploded!! I'm not even kidding you, it flipped completely upside down and BAM! - pulley wheel, arm - they just blew apart!

So, I rode by myself - bummer!! And even though I had a cold, that's no excuse for the THREE times I stopped on a hill - on two of them, I caught by breathe and got back on the bike to finish the hills, but on the super steep one (right before the main rest area at the park), I couldn't get clipped in - so I carried it on my shoulder as a sort of punishment ;)

Seriously though, I can ride and ride and ride, but that's only my second time since November actually riding up a hill!! I've only been training outdoors. Can't wait to get my but outside more as the weather improves and work on that climbing :thumbsup:

I'm glad to hear you guys enjoyed yourselves - the weather was great (now I have to work on getting all the mud off my bike).

-Chris

·
Registered
199 Posts
I found my numbers! For some reason when I uploaded them to polarpersonaltrainer they went into March instead of Feb. And my 70 mile ride from last Monday was 1 day off. Talk about flakey software!

Anyway I finished it in 1 hr 43 minutes...a little over 19mph :)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
hoehnt said:
What color was the Synapse? I saw a guy on a maroon and white colored one in line for the ferry back.
Nope, all black, sorry ;) And I didn't take the ferry. We drove over the Narrows and parked at the ferry terminal on the bainbridge side

-Chris

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
RoadBikeVirgin said:
Nope, all black, sorry ;) And I didn't take the ferry. We drove over the Narrows and parked at the ferry terminal on the bainbridge side

-Chris

That bike is clean. That must be the "before" shot.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
JP said:
RoadBikeVirgin said:

-Chris

That bike is clean. That must be the "before" shot.
Nope, that's after, Joe ;) OK so maybe my idea of muddy isn't as dramatic as yours, but it's certainly the dirtiest my bike has been :cool:

-Chris

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
It looks like a lot of fun. One of these days I`m going to have to see what it`s like to ride a big organized event.

Whacha got strapped onto your seatstays, RBV? Some kind of pannier apparatus?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
rodar y rodar said:
It looks like a lot of fun. One of these days I`m going to have to see what it`s like to ride a big organized event.

Whacha got strapped onto your seatstays, RBV? Some kind of pannier apparatus?
That's actually what's supposed to hold the pump on the frame! :eek: After my buddy retired in the parking lot BEFORE the ride, I forgot to put my own back on (he had one so I figured there wasn't much point carrying 2) ;)

Eh well, I'm hoping to be lucky and not get any flats this season ;) I've got the Performance 360g-a-piece thorn resistant tubes in tires, and the tires are a pretty high TPI count. I'll keep my fingers crossed :) I was actually surprised that when I bought the frame pump it didn't come with a little velcro strap to secure it to the bike. When I had one back in the mid nineties, it came with a strap. When I was testing my bike out in the ferry terminal parking lot on Bainbridge, my chubby calf just popped the pump right off my bike!

I'm gonna have to fasten it with something - thanks for the reminder! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
199 Posts
RoadBikeVirgin said:
on the super steep one (right before the main rest area at the park), I couldn't get clipped in - so I carried it on my shoulder as a sort of punishment ;)
That was about the steepest hill I can ever remember climbing. I live on Whidbey Island so we are about the same hilliness so for the most part I am used to the hills.

Just before I got to the top of that hill though I was begining to think maybe I cant really get by with an 11/23 cassette around here all of the time :eek:

And for some reason I was thinking the hard hills were AFTER the midpoint!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
hoehnt said:
That was about the steepest hill I can ever remember climbing. I live on Whidbey Island so we are about the same hilliness so for the most part I am used to the hills.

Just before I got to the top of that hill though I was begining to think maybe I cant really get by with an 11/23 cassette around here all of the time :eek:

And for some reason I was thinking the hard hills were AFTER the midpoint!
Yeah, as Bill said up at the top of the post, there were 2 12% grades and one 18% - I assume that was the one right before the rest area ;)

As it was my first organized ride I'm not going to beat myself up too much over it. After the first couple hill problems I figured out a different strategy for getting up the rest - it wasn't pretty, and it was certainly SLOW, but I didn't have to stop any more. Continuing to drop weight will definitely help me getting up the hills in the future, and I'll be starting hill training next weekend :)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
rodar y rodar said:
A pump on each side? I guess that WOULD be overkill.
Eh? I'm confused. I just have the clip on the left side (attached with water bottle cage) where my frame pump is supposed to go. That is it. Unless the original question was asking about something else :)

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
He's talking about the raceblade clip on fenders. Those are rubber things that hold the fenders on.

And in those follow up shots I will agree; you got some good mud going there.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts