Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1514 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With all the traffic in thread 3.0 and it's current size. It is time to start version 4.0.

I also believe that it is time that we start posting ride reports aince many of us have had a little bit of time to ride our Chinarello, Chiouta, Chineric frames for a while.

If we can include build details as well I think it would surely help any who are on the fence about these direct from China or eBay offered frame sets.

To make it easier to find information on the Carbon Frame threads here are direct links to all the Chinese/eBay threads:

Version 1: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=198213
Version 2: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=217331
Version 3: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=225409

If this is your first visit go to the upper right corner where it says Display Modes and select Linear Mode, it will be worth it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
FM015 56cm build and ride report

To start it off, I want to say that while I did have a much longer wait buying from Archtek than those buying from DengFu, HongFu and GreatKeen I did get a good quality frame, well packed and not missing any items.

The bike build was pretty straight forward except for the fact that I ordered mine unpainted and had to finish it before building. It is a basic SRAM Red bike with all but the crank set having moved from a PedalForce RS. Picked up a new BB30 Red crank at the local swap meet.

Building this frame seemed as easy as any other of the myriad frames I have put together. The only issue I had was that the fork steerer tube was about .005 mm oversize and it was a very tight fit to get the bearings on. A bit of sandpaper and it was just snug instead.

So far the ride has been what I would call very stable. It is not a twitchy steering bike and seems to track very straight. Compared to my PF it seems to be more solid. The bumps on the road are not as pronounced. I am going to attribute this to the very thin seat stays. The tapered front end does not give when diving into corners. Although it is much heavier than my Alpha Q fork, I don't notice the extra weight as much as I thought I would. It handles about the same as far as front end stiffness. This head tube fork combination is way stiffer than the Easton EC90 SLX fork I used a few years ago. There is absolutely no noticeable flex in the bottom bracket area, but honestly if I were to do this again, I would go with a standard BSA BB instead of BB30.

On the PF I never got the SRAM Red to perform as well as my Dura-Ace equipped RS (I own two RS one Red, one DA, otherwise identical), but moving the parts to this frame seems like everything is set up perfectly and I can tell no difference in the speed of shifts between the two bikes.

I am now considering (once re-employed) getting one of the Chinarello clones from GreatKeen after seeing the ones ordered here.

I hope this information proves useful to anyone considering these Chinese alternatives to name brand or off brand frames.

·
Registered
902 Posts
What caught my eye was that the images of several of Axman's road frames appear to have the shift cables running in nice tidy internal cable through the downtube.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Back in the 3.0 thread there was some discussion and interest about the chinarello frames from greatkeenbike. Some of the recently posted stuff looks great but I see one glaring difference between the copy and the original. The cables are not routed internally on the top tube. Perhaps not a hindernace to some but a deal breaker to me. Doesn't help they had issues with group buys in other forums.

So tempting and the recent posted examples look excellent. I hope owners of this frame who bought from greatkeenbike add more input and reviews.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Urb said:
Back in the 3.0 thread there was some discussion and interest about the chinarello frames from greatkeenbike. Some of the recently posted stuff looks great but I see one glaring difference between the copy and the original. The cables are not routed internally on the top tube. Perhaps not a hindernace to some but a deal breaker to me.
I'm actually glad that the cables aren't internal. Those were gimmicky back then and still is today.

·
Banned
8,103 Posts
WW- thanks for the review.

WheresWaldo said:
T if I were to do this again, I would go with a standard BSA BB instead of BB30.
Why?

I'm thinking about getting a new bike. I'm going to use everything...except my red crank. I'd like to switch to compact and BB30. Your comment is the first negative thing I've heard about BB30...

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
ive put a few hundred km on the fm015 i built up, i wouldnt say it is the best handling bike to be honest, it tends to not feel very ... i cant think of a word. feels like it wanders a bit both when climbing and descending, i don't find it particularly confidence inspiring compared to my other bike (wilier izoard). it is still a decent ride though and most of my racing is on dead flat roads, which is where this bike feels at home, so ill continue to use it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
thanks for the ride reports WW. Your fm015 is definitely one of the sharper looking ones out there. Why would you not go with bb30 next time around? Any specific reasons?

This thread needs to be a sticky.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've put hundreds of miles on my dengfu FM027 with zero complaints on the handling. It does everything I ask of it better than my Litespeed Atlas. Cycling has always been a necessary training tool for me, never what I would call a passion. This year, that has changed. Part of that change has been the added comfort of the new china frame...it certainly is the reason I am now commuting on a bicycle. That's 104 miles per week of commute....thank you Chinarello.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To answer why I wouldn't do BB30 again. Availability of cranks is the first reason. Most all of the best cranks available are readily so in BSA and less so in BB30. Number two is availability of Chinese frames, seems like any BB30 frames take much more time to deliver, so if you are wanting something without a two month wait then BSA is your choice.

I am still partial to Dura-Ace even though I have Red BB30 on my fm015. If I am able to build up a Chinarello then I might try a Campagnolo group of some kind, either way it's easier to do that with BSA rather than BB30. I do know about the adapters, and I have a set of the ones from Wheels Manufacturing. I also know about the press in adapter, but don't see where the real benefit to those are since I usually own a frame until it can't be ridden anymore or until there simply is no value left in them. Of course this happens even faster with a Chinese frame since there is no resale value there to begin with.

So I want to stick with what I know works and I know will be around long after I can no longer ride a bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would like for anyone to chime in with a ride review on the FM028. Seems to be alot of people with the FM015 or the Chinerello but neither of these will fit me, too small or big. The 56cm FM028 looks the goods for me, but no reports so far?

·
Registered
49 Posts
JGF62 said:
I would like for anyone to chime in with a ride review on the FM028. Seems to be alot of people with the FM015 or the Chinerello but neither of these will fit me, too small or big. The 56cm FM028 looks the goods for me, but no reports so far?
I wish I could give you a ride report, but I don't have the money at the moment for parts. I have a lonely FM028 sitting in basement waiting to be loved...

·
Registered
701 Posts
mrbubbles said:
I'm actually glad that the cables aren't internal. Those were gimmicky back then and still is today.
I'm the same way. Internal cable routing only looks cool but wait until you have to change the cables - you'll be glad to have external ones. It makes it so much easier to have them external.

·
Registered
352 Posts
config said:
I'm the same way. Internal cable routing only looks cool but wait until you have to change the cables - you'll be glad to have external ones. It makes it so much easier to have them external.
I'm not following you on this one. What could be easier than sliding a cable through an internally routed cable guide? You push at one end, the cable comes out the other.

1 - 20 of 1514 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.