1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'm also 5'9" and I've been looking at this same frame too. I want one for gravel roads and even though they have nearly a road bike BB height, I'm a little concerned about standover height which of course is not given. I'm most comfortable with a 55 TT so I fall just between their size 53 and 55. I prefer the longer head tube of the 55 but I have a hunch it's a mite too large because of the TT length. Did I confuse you?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm also 5'9" and I've been looking at this same frame too. I want one for gravel roads and even though they have nearly a road bike BB height, I'm a little concerned about standover height which of course is not given. I'm most comfortable with a 55 TT so I fall just between their size 53 and 55. I prefer the longer head tube of the 55 but I have a hunch it's a mite too large because of the TT length. Did I confuse you?
No, not confused. Mine will be for road only, so the BB height doesn't worry me. I built a 26" MTB 1x9 from a Chinese frame. It's BB was pretty low. I just had to be careful and it wasn't a problem. I'm not to concerned about standover. But, I'm actually 1/4 short of 5'9", so yeah, maybe a little confused now. Maybe the 53 would be a better choice.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Santa Cruz Nickel has a 584mm top tube and it fits me perfectly, with a 90mm stem. I'll have a 100mm stem for this bike. So, yeah, I'm not sure what to do. I do like the aesthetics of smaller frames. But, I know that's not a good reason to get a smaller frame. I guess I could use like a 25mm setback post on it. But, frames that are to small are uncomfortable.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Another point to consider is your saddle to bar drop. If your position is upright, then the smaller size with the shorter headtube will require more spacers and/or higher sloping stem. Both could make it look goofy. If you have plenty of drop, then it'll look OK.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another point to consider is your saddle to bar drop. If your position is upright, then the smaller size with the shorter headtube will require more spacers and/or higher sloping stem. Both could make it look goofy. If you have plenty of drop, then it'll look OK.
I don't mind having a more bent over position. I generally run a 5mm spacer under my stems. I'm thinking 53 and a setback post if I need it. This chart says I'm at the upper limit of 53. I'm about 175cm tall and size 55 starts at 178cm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.