Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

961 - 980 of 1224 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
After some 1600 miles, the first problem on my Ican A7. Not much related to the frame itself (or wheels, that I also bought from Ican): the headset bearings started to sign like a bird in some bumps on the road. I've heard that the bearing set they provided was not that great, but for free I couldn't complain much. They came with the frame and lasted more than a year.
Updating my problem: frame and headset are still fine. Problem was actually on my helmet, squeaking from time to time. Go figure...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does anyone know if the Venge clones have the same shape seatpost as the real one? I have a Specialized Allez Sprint which has the S-works seatpost, but unfortunately I cracked it. I'm hoping to not have to pay 2-300$ for a new S-works aero post if possible.

thx

·
Registered
25 Posts
thought i might add on my experience with chinese carbon.

i bought this frame from trident thrust (formerly known as greatkeen though they might not like to admit it).

i wanted an aero frame that fit my height (6'5") which limited me a great deal of options from dengfu / hongfu (and i didn't quite like the fm98).

given this is my first carbon bike i don't have much of a reference point but compared to my previous alu bike, this is definitely a refreshing experience where it felt amazing in terms of power transfer without being overly stiff and giving some compliance on the bumpy roads.

i had some issues in the build where i had to sand down the rear brake caliper mounting hole to get it to fit. luckily i didnt sand down any carbon and all was sanded off was the paint.

here's some photos (any ideas in terms of naming the bike?)
20170525_182419.jpg
20170525_182441.jpg
20170525_182429.jpg

i do recommend anyone using pressfit to get the praxis work PF30s. made a world of difference and didn't creak on me at all.

Specs
Ultegra 6700 groupset (transplanted from my old bike)
Velo Orange Grand Cru 47-57mm brakes
Praxis works PF30 shimano bb
Control tech 100mm 6 degrees alu stem
Control tech 42mm alu dropbar
Campangolo zonda

·
Registered
25 Posts
the zondas are well known to take a heavy load and still stay true after many years. mine had no issue and i definitely weigh under their recommended limit at 109kg. and i've personally seen a heavier bloke (roughly around 120kg based on estimations) that rode his zondas without issue.

·
Registered
105 Posts
o/ posted this thread a few days ago. Have been looking at Flyxii; I like that they're showing their prices up front, and also are offering an upgraded shipping option (for a premium) that should take care of customs (I am in Europe).

Out of a cursory sampling of direct Chinese sellers from this thread, this service seem to be unique to them? and I was wondering if it actually does work?

·
Registered
25 Posts
o/ posted this thread a few days ago. Have been looking at Flyxii; I like that they're showing their prices up front, and also are offering an upgraded shipping option (for a premium) that should take care of customs (I am in Europe).

Out of a cursory sampling of direct Chinese sellers from this thread, this service seem to be unique to them? and I was wondering if it actually does work?
It's not always limited to them. If you asked any other if they had premium shipping I'm pretty sure they do.

I once emailed dengfu and asked about shipping options they had DHL service. But damn they were pricy.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would imagine to make sure that their customers are not hit with extra fees, they'd have to send to some firm in EU, which in turn ships the frame to the customer, similarly to how services like Borderlinx operate?

·
Registered
18 Posts
So I'm gonna need some advice on a crack in my fork:

So I ordered this Cyclocross fork and I never noticed this until after I had a crash where I went OTB after jumping a barrier (it was actually a curb into some grass but same difference). Anyway this crack is on the post mount of my fork and after I noticed it I stopped using the fork. It looks like it's isolated to the surface of the carbon and hasn't gone deeper into the lower layers. I wanted to know if there is a way to fix this or no?

IMG_1516.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
So I'm gonna need some advice on a crack in my fork:

So I ordered this Cyclocross fork and I never noticed this until after I had a crash where I went OTB after jumping a barrier (it was actually a curb into some grass but same difference). Anyway this crack is on the post mount of my fork and after I noticed it I stopped using the fork. It looks like it's isolated to the surface of the carbon and hasn't gone deeper into the lower layers. I wanted to know if there is a way to fix this or no?

View attachment 319231
to repair a carbon fork you'll be looking at least $200 and above. i suggest just ordering a new carbon fork from your manufacturer directly.

unless you wanna ghetto it and fill some epoxy on it. but honestly it aint worth it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
to repair a carbon fork you'll be looking at least $200 and above. i suggest just ordering a new carbon fork from your manufacturer directly.

unless you wanna gehtto it and fill some epoxy on it. but honestly it aint worth it.
Well I guess I'm sticking with my steel replacement fork .-.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I'm not aware of any reputable carbon repair companies that will even touch a damaged fork. Too much liability I guess.

Fortunately, if your headset is not proprietary, you might be able to find a good quality aftermarket fork from someone like Enve or Whisky... I'm sure there are other's I'm not thinking of.

·
Registered
48 Posts
if it's a Chinese fork, then highly unlikely to have the uncommon steerer diameter at the base
the aftermarket ones are all either straight or proper tapered (no 1 1/4 or 1 3/8" BS)

if you're looking for a replacement, the D8014 fork (tapered, from this frameset: New Deisgn 12*142 Disc Brake Flat Mount Carbon CX Cyclocross Gravel Bike Frame | eBay ) is absolutely overbuilt :)
has massive dropouts and the lower parts

i bought one myself thinking it would also be wider than my current one, but I don't think it'll fit 45mm tire (that has any shoulder knobs) so I didn't bother cutting it

should cost much less than Enve or Whisky
(by the way, some Whiskys were/are made by the Shenzhen factory that also makes this frameset)

·
Registered
10 Posts
thats not a bad looking frame, they usually look so ungainly in larger sixes (personal opinion i know).

well following no response as to whether those carbon bars were any good, i have done the only sensible thing, and bought them on spec :) so as soon as they arrive they will be forming part of my upgrade kit for my creaking 250 quid, planet X, gumtree special. and i will tell you what they are like.

Be interested to see how that [email protected], as i know when i had my last frame i was living in spain at the time and they had a an horrendous import duty on "chinese bikes and frames" hahahah which would have made it like a $2500 frameset lol, so i sent mine via the uk.

·
Registered
105 Posts
After a long process of elimination, I'm finding myself looking at a Velobuild VB-R-054.

However, digging up old posts, I've learned about VB's transformation from forum to shop and the associated shenanigans.

Was wondering if anyone has dealt with them in recent times?

·
Registered
25 Posts
After a long process of elimination, I'm finding myself looking at a Velobuild VB-R-054.

However, digging up old posts, I've learned about VB's transformation from forum to shop and the associated shenanigans.

Was wondering if anyone has dealt with them in recent times?
i personally haven't dealt with them but i did looked at one of their frames (VB-R-068/069) and did a reverse google search of it. i found that the company that was supplying them was huyi tech.

according aske its a pretty reliable company? so probably the others are of better suppliers than the ones floating on alibaba.

Hey has anyone have any knowledge on Huyi tech bikes? are they any good? i assume that if velobuild is using them they should be pretty decent?
i was looking to get a bike off from velobuild (VB-R-068 - carbon fiber aero road frame VB-R-068)

but i figured why not just cut the middle man (velobuild) and go direct to the vendor, so i did a reverse google search and found that Huyi tech should be the ones supplying for velobuild

see

https://cnszhuyi.en.alibaba.com/pro...SA_Racing_Bicycle_Frame_990g_Lightweight.html

or

https://www.grvstec.com/portfolio-items/carbon-road-frame/

Hi Avria

I've been dealing with Huyi tech and they are good. They are subcontracting for some of the big Taiwanese companies and are making brand frames. But because of NDA contracts she couldn't tell me which brands. They seem very professional and i really had to dig for this information. It wasn't something​ she threw out there as some kind of quality assurance. They also refuse to do copyrighted decals on frames, which is a good sign imo. They are also supplying an Ali express store, if you wanna go that route. It's called Top-Cycle store.
They are even making some of the open molds with EPS molding, which is the same molding process used in top frames. The standard Chinese open molds are usually made with PU bladder molding.
Communication is good, though sometimes you have to explain things very clear (maybe with an image) for them to understand. But, I guess that's the norm with these dealings.

I have a suspicion that they at least have been producing for the Fuji brand. They had an image at one point from their QA where a guy was reviewing what looks like a Fuji frame... And since they don't do copy stuff...

They also have a close tie to the big Taiwanese APro manufacturer (also something I had to dig out myself). According to the sales woman I've been talking to: "my boss and APro boss are close friends, sometimes we do business cooperation". What that entails, I don't know.

I did get a crappy seat post at one point. That was a backup, i accepted to receive, because the original seat post was out of stock and had to be manufactured first and I couldn't be bothered to wait. I later ordered the original seat post which seems good quality.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
i personally haven't dealt with them but i did looked at one of their frames (VB-R-068/069) and did a reverse google search of it. i found that the company that was supplying them was huyi tech.

according aske its a pretty reliable company? so probably the others are of better suppliers than the ones floating on alibaba.
Thanks for pulling that up; the frames look nicely made, navigating aliexpress does seem like a nightmare though?

There's, like, dozens of pages with these small thumbnail pictures, which all look different and most of them are just the same frameset, just different pictures with reworded descriptions. Am I missing something there, is it supposed to be this daunting?

·
Registered
105 Posts
BTW, I wonder whether Huyi really makes anything; with some legwork, I've traced the Velobuild 069, and a number of other frames, back to HQ Carbon Bike; the formatting of their geometry chart is easy to tell apart:

HQR19 carbon fiber road bike frame

Some I suspect to be matches: VB-R-068, VB-R-099, VB-R-066, VB-R-025, possibly more.

Velobuild's VB-R-054 is from another company entirely, AEL YiErLan Sports:

AEL-R8009-ShenZhen YiErLan Sports Equipment Technology Co.,Ltd

This particular frame was already mentioned in thread as Orge OG-CF26; may need to open this link in Incognito for it to work correctly.

·
Booo-yaaawwwww!!!!!!!!!!!
549 Posts
What would you guys recommend for a guy that mainly does crits and circuit races and is a sprinter. I race between 30-50 times a year and don't have a full bike sponsor this year so having something "disposable" is a must. I'm really attracted to bikes like the Giant TCR. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hmm interesting. Though all thoughts aside.

Have you ever considered the hongfu avenger? Seems to be a really solid bike with good reviews so far.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

961 - 980 of 1224 Posts