Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
New to the forum (not to biking.. but young to the scene... started back up last year). I have in mind to buy a carbon fram, but am curious to the groupset... not the type mind you, I know about the SRAM, Campy, Shamino, etc. but to the off market ones. I have been reading the ebay/chinese carbon frames for some time and saw on the alibaba websites, chinese/taiwan/hong kong/etc makes of shamino 105/dura-ace/etc and other makers. Has anyone bought any (or willing to admit they did)?

Thnx!

·
Registered
689 Posts
There's a thread dedicated to Chinese direct frames here:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=217331

I'd start there if you're considering it. Haven't bought components from those places direct, but did buy a fork recently. It was cheap and the shipping was quick and reasonably priced. Use paypal would be my only advice - that way you have a bit of safety in case things don't turn out the way you expect.

·
Registered
21,541 Posts
Clarity

sxsignal said:
I know about the SRAM, Campy, Shamino, etc. but to the off market ones. I have been reading the ebay/chinese carbon frames for some time and saw on the alibaba websites, chinese/taiwan/hong kong/etc makes of shamino 105/dura-ace/etc and other makers. Has anyone bought any (or willing to admit they did)?
You may be talking about "grey market" products - those that come without warranty because they are not going through official distribution channels. The question has been asked before about whether there are copy-cat versions of Shimano components, and no one has ever seen any. Likewise SRAM and Campy.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
You can get Microshift stuff very cheap, if that's what you mean. There's a recent review here of it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The shipping charge is quite high on many of the china groups and it seem you can get a new take offs for considerably less if you are patient on ebay or forum

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
Surely someone has taken the risk and ordered a groupset from China?

If you have, did the groupset arrive and was it OEM or fake?
Go ahead...throw your money down the toilet and flush.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would buy a Microshift group for my training bike, but I cannot find any deals. For the prices on Ebay/Sampson sports, I would rather stick with SRAM/Shimano.

·
Music Man
967 Posts
I wouldn't risk ordering anything from there. I like peace of mind ordering from a reputable dealer with authentic parts. Anything less just won't do.

·
Music Man
967 Posts
So, would you take a chance and buy an unknown product from an unknown company...possibly something that is on the black market? Not me!! I've got thousands of dollars invested in brand name bikes and I'm sure going to use brand name parts to go along with it. I would never, ever even consider buying something cheap...especially when it comes to cycling.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Someone did buy a Red group from yishun or some vendors for ~$1200.
I took a look for SRAM Red from China vendors and was getting quotes of around $1250. But you could only get one crank arm length and could not choose cassette size. Ended up going with texascyclesport.com. Had to wait for one of their email specials, but got the Red group with my choices for around $1300 shipped. Sign up for their email and be patient.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I would buy a Microshift group for my training bike, but I cannot find any deals. For the prices on Ebay/Sampson sports, I would rather stick with SRAM/Shimano.
You can get them from Performance for pretty cheap. THey run deals on them occasionally.

·
Wanna go for a ride?
195 Posts
You can get Microshift stuff very cheap, if that's what you mean. There's a recent review here of it.
I have ridden on two of the MicroSHIFT 10-speed drivetrains and have been pleasantly surprised with both. My first was MicroSHIFT BONA and the second was the WHITE group in red trim. Both functioned flawlessly, but I sold the BONA group to help fund other cycling ventures.

I'd be happy to share my experience with anyone who wants more information.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?p=3271043&highlight=microshift

·
Music Man
967 Posts
You forget though, reputable companies have products there manufactured all the time.
There's a difference between legal manufacturing of a product and black marketing a product. Obviously, when the seller only accepts a money transfer, it is not a legal business. On the other hand, SRAM, Shimano, and other products are made in China and shipped to the manufacturer, who ships them to distributors, who in turn, sell them to bike shops and others with a resale license, who in turn, sell them to the consumer. Black market products are rampant all over China. Would you risk wasting your money on cheap Chinese knock-offs? And take a chance for your money to disappear? Not me!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts