Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Clydesdale Viejo
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a clincher tire for a road/CX project to ride 70% road and 30% packed/soft sandy trails and vados here in Baja Sur, MX. Our local hightway roads are fairly course chip seal and oiled asphalt. Off piste is packed or shallow sand in ry, desert conditions located between the local mountains and beach with little to no water.

I'm a clyde currently running Conti 28c 4Seasons on DT Swiss rr585 rims on my dedicated roadie The 4Seasons ride and perform great on pavement, but suck anywhere else, probably due to the +/- 85-90psi I ride them at. I'm a fitness rider and ride 4-5 times weekly for +/-2 hours entirely on pavement, and well the off piste roads and trails are calling to me.

Looking at Vittoria Cross XN Pro II ( 700x31 ) and Clement MXP ( 700x33 ) clinchers but totally open to suggestions by others with more insight/experience. Planning to mount onto the rr585 rims which are 19.5 id for daily use- I'm expecting somewhere between a 30-35c width. Looking for something durable and suitable for 70/30 pavement/off piste riding. Am I dreaming and asking to much?

Thanks

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,456 Posts
I can't answer your question, mostly MTB guys here.

Where in BCS do you live?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I'm just getting my first miles on them, but you might consider the Clement Strada USH in 32mm. It can be run tubeless if you are interested. If you want something a little wider, I really like the Clement X'Plor USH at 35mm. I ran that on my gravel bike all summer.

Both of these have a decent center bead with a nice tread on the edges for the softer stuff.

Which one you choose will likely depend on how low you want the pressure. I'm also a clyde, at 225lbs, and ran the X'Plor USH at 55lbs. It's quite cushy at that pressure, and zero pinch flats.

X'Plor USH 35mm

Strada USH 32mm

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
For the road conditions you are describing i have had good results with light herringbone tread type supple tires like the Challenge Strada Bianca or the Soma Vitesse

1 - 4 of 4 Posts