Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
I thought you said adobe........shhheeeeeeesh......well yeah......now in adobe sauce sounds nasty...........

·
Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
Those are good stuff - and hot as hell too. What's your favorite recipe that uses them? I have half a can left over that I need to use.

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put them in sweet potatoes once and they were awesome. Tonight, I marinated shrimp in the sauce for a while, then cooked them w/bell pepper, onion, mushroom, & a couple of the peppers (left whole just for extra flavor) for some sweat-inducing fajitas.

·
Registered
170 Posts
So here's what you do...

nonsleepingjon said:
Those are good stuff - and hot as hell too. What's your favorite recipe that uses them? I have half a can left over that I need to use.
I eat those suckers all the time, use them in chili and salsa and soups. Google "chipotle recipes" for a bunch of ideas.
There used to be a restaurant in the SF Bay Area that made a "pastel" (means pie in Spanish) that was a stack of fried tortillas with ham, chicken and queso fresco topped with guacamole, sour cream and chipotle. What's not to like?.
If you have leftovers, you can spin them in a blender or mash them in a bowl with a fork, then freeze the puree by teaspoons full on a plate. Once they're frozen, put them in a ziplock bag and you can use them as you need them. Or just scoop them out of the can and freeze them whole.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
killer recipe

Take 4 of the peppers, mince them up, toss in a saucepan with 2-3 cups of pineapple juice, 1/4 cup white vinegar, and 2 tbls lime juice.

Cook down until you only have 1 to 1 1/4 cup of sauce.

Take two pork tenderloins, rub all over with chili powder, then sear on all sides in hot cast iron pan with a little oil.

Put pan in 350 oven. Use instant read thermometer and pull them when it hits 155-160.

Let stand 5 minutes, slice thin, pour sauce over, serve with rice.

Receive compliments :thumbsup: :D

(If you make extra sauce, it freezes well- cuts prep time by huge amount next time)

·
Super Moderator
19,518 Posts
Andrea138 said:
I put them in sweet potatoes once and they were awesome. Tonight, I marinated shrimp in the sauce for a while, then cooked them w/bell pepper, onion, mushroom, & a couple of the peppers (left whole just for extra flavor) for some sweat-inducing fajitas.
I do that too. Chop up one of them peppers and mix it in. Delicious!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Totally a staple in our house.

Couple of ways we use them are:

Sirloin Tips
dice/mince up a couple peppers, and some cloves of garlic. Place into bag with meat, add Worstershire sauce, soy, and teriyaki to taste. Grill until medium rare.

Stir Fry
Add minced up Chipotles to stir fry. mmmm nice burn.

Such a great burn!

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Teh awsomeness. I first came across them in a recipe for turkey meatloaf.

Since the Lounge is the ultimate repository of knowledge, I'll pass along this little tidbit: After chopping them up without wearing gloves, make sure to wash your hands exceptionally well (two or three times) before removing your contacts. :eek: HTH

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
kykr13 said:
: After chopping them up without wearing gloves, make sure to wash your hands exceptionally well (two or three times) before removing your contacts. :eek: HTH

REALLY?????....who'd a thunk it....

:rolleyes:

fwiw...if you are hacking up GOOD peppers......washing your hands seems to make VERY little difference.

The moral of that story is........be REAL careful where you put your hands.....the MOUTH is really the LEAST of your problems

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
The moral of that story is........be REAL careful where you put your hands.....the MOUTH is really the LEAST of your problems
Sounds like the voice of experience, too. :) There are plenty of other places you could put your hands that might cause problems, but fortunately I haven't had that experience.

These are really good, but one of the top things in the fridge to encounter "half can syndrome" and end up pitching them out because you're not sure how old they are. Tomato paste is in that category, or was until I found the stuff in the tube.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I like to add a can and the juice of a lime to a quart of mayonaisse for tomato sandwiches in the summer. Puree the peppers with the lime juice in a blender, then incorporate the mayo.

·
Registered
665 Posts
kykr13 said:
These are really good, but one of the top things in the fridge to encounter "half can syndrome" and end up pitching them out because you're not sure how old they are. Tomato paste is in that category, or was until I found the stuff in the tube.
We store them in the freezer, in a ziplock sammich bag. key is to flatten it out so it is easy to cut/break off pieces for later use. Never throw em away!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
kykr13 said:
Sounds like the voice of experience, too. :) There are plenty of other places you could put your hands that might cause problems, but fortunately I haven't had that experience.

uh....yeah....

the bottle said the hottest hot sauce in the world....it may or may not be.....but it sure as HE!! the hottest stuff I EVER put in my eyes!

red....oil.....it wasn't pretty.....I had just touched the tip of my finger to the top of the bottle and tasted it...I had the hiccups for 15 minutes...

(more like tummy convulsions....LOL)

I washed, and washed, and washed, and washed...then took my left contact out......The real killer was I had the right one to go yet!!!!!!!!

I threw that pair out...I sure wasn't going to take the chance of putting them back in my eyes!!!!!!!!

BTW....NEVER store anything in the 'fridge in the can....yuck....

·
Registered
233 Posts
For a Chipotle sauce/spread -

5-15 Chipotle (or morita) pepppers with seeds removed (canned ok, dried works too)
4 TBS olive oil
2 medium onions, quartered
6-10 cloves garlic, just crushed
1 15 oz can of tomatoes (whole, chopped, whatever)
Apple Cider vinegar (to taste)
Sugar or pilloncio (sp?) - 1-2 cups usually
Salt
12 pack of cheap beer

Stick a decent sized saucepan on the stove at med-low heat. Splash your olive oil in there and toss in the onion. Let those puppies sweat down for 10-15 minutes; I generally hit the onion with a dose of salt at this point, approx 2 teaspoons. After the onions are wrecked, toss in the garlic cloves and de-seeded chipotles. Saute for another 5 minutes or so to soften the garlic.

Toss in your canned tomatoes, a can of beer, about a cup of sugar, about 3 TBS of vinegar and get your mixture going at a very low boil/active simmer. At this point, find something interesting to do with the rest of your beer. Let this stew for about an hour, adding more liquid as you need to keep everything covered.

After an hour, remove from heat and puree with your favorite implement of destruction. If using a blender, be very careful. You are dealing with very hot & spicy liquid - you do not want to shoot a geyser of this stuff around the kitchen. Once pureed, return to the stove. Depending on how thick you want the sauce, continue cooking down. I like a thick sauce that can hold a soft shape in a spoon, so I usually simmer for another 30 min to reduce. At this point adust taste with sugar, vinegar, and salt. I usually try salt first (dipping a corn tortilla into the mix), and then work on the sugar. If the aftertaste of the sauce is bitter or grassy from the peppers, keep adding sugar until you have a smooth finish. Then hit it at the end with more vinegar to kick up the flavor profile and prevent the sugar from making the sauce cloying.

This sauce is really hard to screw up. It will vary batch to batch based on the peppers you use, so relax - you can fix everything at the end with the sugar and vinegar. Depending on the heat, it goes well with chips or as a spread pretty much anything.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts