Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,208 Posts
I remember when it first blew up in November.

Thing with young folks...they're very dumb about consequences of tying private political commentary to their actual name AKA professional persona, and leaving a trail of either ill-considered or ephemeral or sincerely held but concerning posts on the internet tied to themselves forever.

TBH my niece posts her entire life on snap/instagram and FB, and could really use a hard life lesson about it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
This all happened in her past. Why sign her, wait for it to blow up, then condemn her for it?

Same thing happened to Quinn Simmons.

It's super easy to do a background check on social media these days. Why aren't these people doing this before they sign people instead of after?

·
Registered
8,521 Posts
This all happened in her past. Why sign her, wait for it to blow up, then condemn her for it?

It's super easy to do a background check on social media these days. Why aren't these people doing this before they sign people instead of after?
They probably don't care until they hear rumblings about it, and then it's "You better fix this".

·
Neophyte
2,111 Posts

The people who signed her aren't the ones complaining. People who sponsor the people who signed her are.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
interestingly it seems to always be someone supporting conservative positions that get bashed and lectured by sponsors, not far left positions.

·
Registered
28,113 Posts
Such brand quality control for the firm.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,208 Posts
interestingly it seems to always be someone supporting conservative positions that get bashed and lectured by sponsors, not far left positions.

Yea well, once up on a time the USA in a world spanning war fought against fascism, called a World War 2 (and the rest of the world remembers it). Now 'conservatives' embrace fascism. And then the snowflakes whine about being the victims....while simultaneously telling everyone else to not be so fragile.

Funny thing, all of that.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I always try and keep clear of the politics in any forum so my views are, as far as I can make them, neutral.

Dygert, like many people, should keep clear on making any personal views on social media. That's not right but it is the way it is.

The initial Caynon-SRAM mandated apology was as far as it should have gone (and IMO, further than it should have gone). The Lanterne Rouge has done a YouTube video on this.

The Rapha statement, IMO, is obscenely excessive and could be viewed as corporate bullying. I wonder if they took her mental well-being into account.

I guess there has been a battle to out do each other between the sponsors and Dygert has been the pawn.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,875 Posts
Rapha has actually done considerable outreach to minority riders, so their response to the racial "retweets" (or whatever you kids call them) is understandable from that perspective. I haven't seen any signs of a similar outreach for LGBTQ riders, but I think Rapha probably doesn't want to alienate potential customers from that demographic, either.

Dygert should have realized as a public figure (even a fringe one) her social media would be scrutinized. She is representing the brand(s), which is why so many athletes are crushingly boring shills on social media. It's not like sponsors are beating down the doors of professional cycling with wads of cash in hand- especially women's cycling.

Do I think it's all a bit excessive? Yes. She messed up and apologized. I think that should be it. If the behavior continues, then you have an issue. I think the response made for more negative publicity than the original social media misstep.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Rapha has actually done considerable outreach to minority riders, so their response to the racial "retweets" (or whatever you kids call them) is understandable from that perspective. I haven't seen any signs of a similar outreach for LGBTQ riders, but I think Rapha probably doesn't want to alienate potential customers from that demographic, either.

Dygert should have realized as a public figure (even a fringe one) her social media would be scrutinized. She is representing the brand(s), which is why so many athletes are crushingly boring shills on social media. It's not like sponsors are beating down the doors of professional cycling with wads of cash in hand- especially women's cycling.

Do I think it's all a bit excessive? Yes. She messed up and apologized. I think that should be it. If the behavior continues, then you have an issue. I think the response made for more negative publicity than the original social media misstep.
When a company makes a play for segment(s) of the population they risk alienating some other segment(s) and that's certainly magnified when it gets into politics and news of it becomes more wide spread. Public flogging of a female champion doesn't seem to be a good idea to me, but I'm not a marketing expert so......

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,208 Posts
When a company makes a play for segment(s) of the population they risk alienating some other segment(s) and that's certainly magnified when it gets into politics and news of it becomes more wide spread. Public flogging of a female champion doesn't seem to be a good idea to me, but I'm not a marketing expert so......
A half-hearted corporate boilerplate apology and statement is now 'public flogging'?? I mean seriously?

And...I think Canyon etc have a very good idea who their demographics are. The amount of attention paid to cycling, period, in the USA is maybe above zero. There's a reason no 'sports channel' in the USA EVER carries it. The amount of Trump cult supporters who care about women's cycling is roughly zero; see how long it took this thread to even appear on a cycling forum? The number of people in the USA who know who Chloe Dygert is and see her as a victim.....well this thread has probably the only 2.

This is your Holy Free Market in action. Canyon knows the market for women's racing is in Europe. Canyon knows that the US is half whacko, and her own countrymen supermajority don't know who the gal even is...and know that in countries that actually care about cycling, her opinions hurt their image. And they know that by not saying as little as they did, sponsors and fans would bail. Don't you love Free Markets? I mean, don't you?

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
A half-hearted corporate boilerplate apology and statement is now 'public flogging'?? I mean seriously?

And...I think Canyon etc have a very good idea who their demographics are. The amount of attention paid to cycling, period, in the USA is maybe above zero. There's a reason no 'sports channel' in the USA EVER carries it. The amount of Trump cult supporters who care about women's cycling is roughly zero; see how long it took this thread to even appear on a cycling forum? The number of people in the USA who know who Chloe Dygert is and see her as a victim.....well this thread has probably the only 2.

This is your Holy Free Market in action. Canyon knows the market for women's racing is in Europe. Canyon knows that the US is half whacko, and her own countrymen supermajority don't know who the gal even is...and know that in countries that actually care about cycling, her opinions hurt their image. And they know that by not saying as little as they did, sponsors and fans would bail. Don't you love Free Markets? I mean, don't you?
Bingo reply my man. I used to root for her, now I don't give a crap about her. She's young, but she's an adult. She just had to voice her opinion, an unpopular one, in a community that tend to be leaning more on the progressive spectrum. She made her bed, now sleep in it. I'm not gonna feel sorry for her one bit.

Chloe has every right to speak her mind and that is her choice. Now it's time for her to suck it up and live by her conviction. Oh wait... she waivered in front of the mighty corporate dollar. See,.. no conviction whatsoever. Just another dumb twitter-instagram-wannabe fascist with zero conviciton but likes to borrow others' tweet to lob out some "soft attacks".

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I used to root for her, now I don't give a crap about her. She's young, but she's an adult. She just had to voice her opinion, an unpopular one, in a community that tend to be leaning more on the progressive spectrum.
How very inclusive of you and the 'community'

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Bingo reply my man. I used to root for her, now I don't give a crap about her. She's young, but she's an adult. She just had to voice her opinion, an unpopular one, in a community that tend to be leaning more on the progressive spectrum. She made her bed, now sleep in it. I'm not gonna feel sorry for her one bit.

Chloe has every right to speak her mind and that is her choice. Now it's time for her to suck it up and live by her conviction. Oh wait... she waivered in front of the mighty corporate dollar. See,.. no conviction whatsoever. Just another dumb twitter-instagram-wannabe fascist with zero conviciton but likes to borrow others' tweet to lob out some "soft attacks".
I tried to rep you up for this post so hard. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
How very inclusive of you and the 'community'
She got what she deserved. I was hoping that she would double down on her belief, so that Sram/Canyon would can her. But alas, she had zero conviction. Another social media racist sheep bowing down to the corporate dollar. Shut ya trap up if ya can't stand the heat?

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
She's pretty young and maybe she hasn't been around much. She might have been raised in an 'echochamber', plenty of those folks around these parts.
I don't know her, other than racing. I think Ralpho, saw an opportunity for a headline and went for it.

·
Registered
28,113 Posts
She's pretty young and maybe she hasn't been around much. She might have been raised in an 'echochamber', plenty of those folks around these parts.
I don't know her, other than racing. I think Ralpho, saw an opportunity for a headline and went for it.
So much for Rapha quality control.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rapha seem to have missed out the bit about how they support all things great, good and righteous by sourcing some of their stuff from China. An oversight, I’m sure

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I think Ralpho, saw an opportunity for a headline and went for it.
An irrelevant fading company in the industry trying desperately to find relevance instead of improving their blah boring awkward kits.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts