Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Old Skool
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This post was inspired by the post further down on what repair supplies to carry. My question is this:

What is the cool frame pump to carry? Is there a make/model that is (pretty much) viewed as superior?

I am a middle aged guy returning to the sport after a long lay-off. I raced in the 70’s and did some serious sports touring stuff in the late 80’s. During both of these periods (especially the 70’s), everybody had a Silca Impero with a steel Campy head. If you had anything else, you would probably have to take some guff from you riding buddies. I know that the Silca Impero is still made, but it does not seem to be a popular as it once was.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Not many choices

Stogaguy said:
What is the cool frame pump to carry? Is there a make/model that is (pretty much) viewed as superior?
I'm still a Silca guy (just use their own head now) and find that I can out-pump everybody else. There aren't many choices these days with lots of people using CO2 and mini-pumps. Blackburn and Zefal are pretty much your other choices. Can't comment on cool.

·
Banned
653 Posts
Stick with Silca

Silca makes a 2-stage pump that is about 7 inches in length.
You can mount it next to a water bottle cage.
I use it to reduce bike cargo. I think people will tell you
"it takes a long time to get a tire up to higher psi with these pumps"

·
Registered
205 Posts
To answer your question...

CO2 cartridges are "cool"

If you ride in a group, the "cool" people look for Fred people with ToPeak Mountain Morph pumps to borrow. Presta, Schraeder, a pressure gauge, and it unfolds in to a mini floor pump. I got one for long rides, but it's heavy so one such pump per riding group is enough.

Usually, I carry a Crank Bros. Mini in my micro-sized seatbag. I don't flat that much- roads are good, you get a great upperbody workout for 15 minutes, I'm in a super cycling friendly area, and my cell phone seems to work everywhere within a 100 mile radius except for the grocery store near my house.

Oh yeah- the Silca rides on my 20 year old road bike that is being converted to Fixed Gear- fits right under the top tube. Considering the light weight, low cost, and it has worked great for over 20 years... well, how much money can you make on a product like that?

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Silca's all right...if you settle for second-best

This is a minibattle on the order of Shimano vs. Campy, but I've had much better luck with the Zefal hpX than Silca. My previous one lasted 15-20 years, and was still pumping strong when I backed the car over it. The new one is about three years old and still works like new. I don't have a lot of Silca experience, but I've seen two of them explode, literally burst the barrels, in the past year or so. My Silca-loving buddy (we call him "the Pusher," because that's how he gets home after he has a flat) says that's an occasional problem always caused by operator error, and he's probably right, but with a Zefal you don't have to worry about it.
Real men don't use CO2, because when I try to pump up my 700x35 tires with a single cartridge, it goes to about 65psi and I have to finish with a pump anyway, plus I'm always afraid I'll have one more flat than I have carts. My wife really like hers, though.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
I agree with Cory. Pretty hard not to say that the Zefal HPX is right up there at the top, and has been for well over a decade.

·
Old Skool
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Blackburn Frame Pump CF?

Thanks everybody for your input. I appreciate it.

I was waiting for someone to say the “Z” word. Back in the 70’s no racer (in my experience) would be caught dead with a Zefal. It simply was not done. The objections logical and otherwise went like this:
1. They were French (Mon Dieu!).
2. Nobody else had one. (Roadies have always been a conformist and snobby lot.)
3. They were heavier. (This was the era when people drilled out everything to save weight.)
4. They took longer to inflate a tire.
5. They dented when you used them to dissuade a chasing dog. (True that!)
6. The pump head was not as good as the Campy. (Mind you, the Silca head was atrocious).

All this said, I bought a Zefal HPX for my wife’s bike on the recommendation of my LBS. I agree that it works great. I also agree with Cory’s comment about this being a “mini” Shimano vs. Campy thing. That said, no matter how good they are I just cannot bring myself to have one on my bike.

The compact Blackburn pumps look pretty cool but I like the looks and function of a full size frame pump. I am eyeing the Blackburn Frame Pump CF. Does anyone have any thoughts on this model?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Stogaguy said:
The compact Blackburn pumps look pretty cool but I like the looks and function of a full size frame pump. I am eyeing the Blackburn Frame Pump CF. Does anyone have any thoughts on this model?
I have one of the newer carbon fiber ones and it's been great. Looks good and never lets me down. I did take it apart and rebuild it last year after it got wet and grimey after a few long rain rides, but I rebuilt it and lubed it with a little TriFlow. Before that I had a Zefal, but all the sharp edges make it hard on the hands, and it rattles a lot. The Blackburn is quiet. Haven't bothered with Topeaks stuff because it looks so goofy.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
jtolleson said:
I agree with Cory. Pretty hard not to say that the Zefal HPX is right up there at the top, and has been for well over a decade.
damn...gotta agree. I only use the HPX these days after getting stranded on US36 once after blowing through 2 C02s and having no backup pump.

// I have one of the old metal ones...I think they are using more plastic now. The metal ones double as a weapon or dog deterrent if needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts