Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Boobies!
8,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Into a realm that I am not familiar with.

I understand that the 2006 585s shipped with the HSC 5 with the built in carbon crown race. Rake should be 43 if I have remembered correctly from noodling around...

If I go with a replacement fork, what are my choices--and affordability is top priority--this is a ghetto build...

Nashbar?

Pedal Force

3T Funda (though not cheap)

Also--what type of headset will I need--I have never had anything but a conventional press-in headset with cups/external bearings.

·
Boobies!
8,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had to replace a fork with aftermarket and went with Ritchey, very happy with it. Their forks are available in 43mm rake. I got one of the more expensive ones but they have more affordable as well.

Carbon Road Bike Forks | Ritchey
I forgot Ritchey--they always struck me as decent and less expensive than some.

Was yours an integrated headset like the LOOK or a standard?

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,456 Posts
I had a 585 with a bad headset. The only replacement was a Look as it was proprietary, and the fork is an integral part of it. I don't believe that there are any satisfactory replacement forks.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
I forgot Ritchey--they always struck me as decent and less expensive than some.

Was yours an integrated headset like the LOOK or a standard?
Mine was for a 2006 Specialized that had integrated headset. For some of those types of designs, the Interwebs seem to say "any IS standard headset should do"... I did a search for Look and there are some other discussions that bring up similar response. Maybe have somebody at shop make sure, if you don't have the necessary tools you'll have to have a shop do the headset install anyway...

I saw one discussion on weight weenies, and then here's an older one from here:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/components-wrenching/look-555-headset-question-206474.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts