Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding an aluminum mens' frame road bike for a few years, and am ready to upgrade to my first carbon frame. After visiting local bike shops and test riding what is available this late in the season, I have narrowed my choices down to a 2010 Specialized Ruby Expert, a 2011 Specialized Amira Comp, or a 2010 Giant Defy Advanced 2. I typically ride 30 - 60 miles at a time, and would like to attempt my first century. The Amira felt great on the short test ride, but would the stiffness make it uncomfortable on longer rides? Does anyone have any thoughts about these choices? I have also seen a Look 566 origin whick appeared interesting, but I was not able to test ride this bike.

·
wasssabi
2,081 Posts
Let me just say this.
Please don't make the mistatke of thinking just because it is carbon it is an "upgrade".
Whole bunch of aluminum bikes out there that are better in many ways than many carbon bikes.
Geomitry and proper fit are what you need.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Would the Giant Avail Advanced be a nicer choice over the Defy if you need a WSD fit?

What is your current bike and do you think the fit is good? What do you want the new bike to do that the current one does not offer?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kuma601 - I am currently riding a Specialized Tricross, and looking for something lighter, faster, and with gearing more like that of a road bike. The tricross fits well though. My local Giant dealer did not have any Avails in stock that would fit me, so I can't say if it would be a better fit than the Defy or not. Thanks for the suggestion though.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Of the three bikes mentioned, two have what's commonly referred to as relaxed geometry (slightly more upright riding position, slightly slower/ more predictable handlng) and one has race geo (more aggressive riding position, quicker steering/ handling).

The Defy and Ruby are the two more 'relaxed' bikes, and the Amira is the race bike. Either geo will suite your stated purposes, so it comes down to fitness/ flexibility and personal preferences.

IME the best way to decide what works best for you is to get sized/ fitted and test ride the bikes (out on the roads) and for some duration. Parking lot rides will tell you next to nothing, so it's important that you get real test rides in. Focus on fit/ feel, ride and handling, whittling your choices from there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts