Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is now time for me to buy a new helmet. There is quite a range in pricing. What does a higher price get you? Is it safer? Is it lighter? Any comments or opinions appreciated.

In addition: Does anyone have a solution to worn out sizer pads in a Bell Helmet. I called Bell, and they no longer stock pads for the helmet.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
safer? no... all pass ansi/snell/whatever

more $ = more vents, more adjustability, lighter

most pads attach w/velcro... get generic pads and cut to fit

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
You forgot the biggest reason you pay more for upper end helmets, fashion. More vents, maybe, but it doesn't necessarilly mean cooler. More adjustability, maybe, but most lower mid to upper end helmets in every brand use the same adjustment mechanism. Lighter, maybe, but certainly not always.

Look for helmets on sale and buy one that has the features you want and, most importantly, fits your head. Bell helmets fit my head better and that's what I stick with. My head is kinda oval shaped. Giro helmets don't fit me well so I don't even look at them. Previous years models are usually a much better buy but you have fewer sizes and color selections.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Some of the lightweight hence cut-away helmets also reduce some of the contact areas on your head. These small areas may be the source of pressure spots. Wearing a sweat barrier like HeadSweats and such also aid in some comfort there. For guys like me who buzz their hair to 3mm, the larger openings allow more sun so I have to wear a sweat barrier to prevent sunburn. Whatever is comfortable though. :)

I used to wear Giro and the recent changes in shape made it uncomfortable for me. I rotate between a Bell Sweep R and Slant these days. There are little things between the two which I like, the Slant at $35 is the one I usually grab when going out.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
Mel Erickson said:
You forgot the biggest reason you pay more for upper end helmets, fashion. More vents, maybe, but it doesn't necessarilly mean cooler.

hmmm, did I say cooler? beauty is in the eye of the beholder, assume op has his/her own sense of fashion

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'll echo the comment above about pressure spots. I am getting back into cycling and bought a Bell Solar for about $35 at a LBS. It fits great, but after about 40 minutes of wearing it I noticed a couple of pressure points near my temples. Felt fine in the store, and like I said, it takes about 40 minutes on the bike before I feel it. I've shaved down the high spots and that has helped a little. Next time I'll look more carefully at the inside of the helmet before I buy.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Slim Again said:
Where I ride, temperatures can be brutal -- got up to 97 over the weekend.

So, with that in mind, what helmets offer the most comfort, temperature-wise?
i don't own one, though i have borrowed a specialized decibal and i really liked it. the little vent for the forehead was great. it is a pretty pricey helmet but probably the coolest (temp wise) that i've tried.

-edit- ok i guess specialized calls it their "4th dimension" system and the forehead vent is a "mouthport". whatever. very cool helmet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.