Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please help me choose!! I decided to go with a cannondale bike because I really like the bike shop that carries the bikes. I am stuck between the r700 and r900. The 700 uses shimano 105/ultegra 9 speed, and has shimano wheels. The 900 uses almost all campy veloce 10 speed, and the bike also comes with mavic wheels. The reason I am stuck is that there is a 350$ dollar difference for the 900. Is it worth the extra 350$? It seems like a great deal to get the 900 but i wonder if ill notice the difference since this is my first bike.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
locolouie said:
After test riding several bikes I have narrowed my choice to the Specialize Elite Double or the Specialize Comp Double. One is ten speed and one is nine speed. The salesman at the bikestore tells me that a ten speed is a better choice because nine speeds parts are going to be hard to get, and pricey since all bikes will be going to ten speed. I really like the Elite a little better because of price and color. The only downside is that the salesman tells me its a nine speed, and that the components are more durable on the comp. If ten speed is that important I could purchase the comp. Any Suggestions?

Thanks

You have to love your bike, if you like the Elite better, buy the Elite. Personally, I like 9 speed, and I think that there is going to be 9 speed around for several more years, and if there is not, after a while you could upgrade the Elite to 10 speed. Make sure they do a proper fitting. As far as 10 speed being more durable, well I don't know about that..:rolleyes: I personally don't think that 10 speed is that important. I think being in love with your bike is more.....

·
Registered
339 Posts
locolouie said:
The salesman at the bikestore tells me that a ten speed is a better choice because nine speeds parts are going to be hard to get, and pricey since all bikes will be going to ten speed.
That is pure and utter salesman nonsense, that salesman isn't interested in selling the best bike for you but is more interested in selling the better bike for their commission. I can't comment on 9 or 10 speed being better as I am fairly new to road cycling myself but being a beginner I am sure it isn't going to make a difference to you, everyone else in the world has make do without 10 speed up until now so I'm sure a beginner will be just fine.

As to the choice of bike, which Specialized model are you referring to? They use the whole Elite/Comp classification across their whole range.

·
Registered
635 Posts
the paintjob on the elite (red) is way cooler than the comp, imo. Even if 9spd stuff stops getting made, it is all over the place now, so ebay and forums will have it for a few years. Or you can upgrade, (maybe even out of the 105 group into ultegra or dura-ace). The wheelset on the comp is better. Also the comp has carbon seatstays. Their effect is debateable. Those are the two main differences (I think they have different cranks as well), its up to you whats worth it. For $500 you can get a handbuilt custom wheelset that is nicer than the one on the comp, or the elite. Either way, great bikes, cheers.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
nothing wrong with nine speed.
unless you live in hilly areas go for a double.
i hate my triple, and dont need the small ring - a fit rider can do without quite well on flat terrain, and can do relatively well on mountaineous terrain - i climbed Mt Mitchell (highest point east of the mississippi) on a 24 pound double bike wiht a 12-25 cassette, and i'm not what you'd call strong. if you feel that you really need low, low gears (i did before i started racing, if i hit a SICK hill), go with a compact crankset. DONT get a triple. the compact crankset will give you smaller chainrings - a Triple tends to be about 53/43/30 (teeth on each ring on the front), a Double is often 53/42, a Compact is a 50/39. assuming you have a 12-25 cassette (pretty standard), with a compact, your lowest gear ratio will be 1.56, a triple it will be 1.2; not a very big difference, and doubles are much more user friendly.

if any of this is over your head or you have any questions whatsoever feel free to PM me.
-estone2

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Gearing that works for one person on one climb won't necessarily work for another rider on another hill. Besides differences in fitness, some riders are happy grinding along at 50 rpm while others do better at 90.

I have a standard 52/39 double,a 53/39/30 triple, and a 50/34 compact on different bikes. The triple shifts almost as well as the new compact. Shimano 10sp triples are now coming with 52/39/30 gearing, which is more useful than the standard 9sp 52/42/30 setup (which can be changed with a 39t middle ring from FSA).

For a new rider buying a new bike I would recommend a triple. The price difference on a new bike between a double to a triple is usually not very large, like $50-100. But the cost of converting to a triple later, should you find that you need one, will be many $hundreds. If it turns out that you are strong and don't need the low gears, you can cheaply convert the bike to a double. Even if you leave it on, you don't have to use the granny ring. A triple setup weighs roughly 100 grams more than an equivalent double.

It's easy to let your ego select your gears. I've done it myself. But what's important is who gets to the top of the hill first, not what gear they used to get there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
9 speed obsolete?

What a bunch of salesman nonsense. I would flee in the other direction from that guy. I've got a 14 yr old proflex hybrid and just upgraded the wheels and drivetrain, new triple crank and SEVEN speed cassette. And my LBS got em in 4 days. Does that sound like it's hard to
find older configurations? I think not!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I will go with 9 speed

Ya there is quite a price difference between the 9speed and the 10 speed. Now I am looking at the cannondale r700. It is nine speed as well. I am sure this will be plenty of bike for me for a while?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts