Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
papa sboak
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a steel framed road bike on recreational rides (mostly at night) ranging from ~15 or so miles to a little over 40 at around 15mph. I'm not racing so weight is not that big an issue for me (bike 23#, water, tubes, cartridges, multi-tool, lights... it adds up though). I keep getting different advice from people regarding my saddle.

I am currently riding a WTB Speed V Pro Gel Saddle, 430g, Steel Rails, Black.
(taken off an old MTB I was riding before)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000A45DGW/102-4069104-7084131?v=glance

Yes, I'm aware it's a MTB saddle, but it's relatively comfy and I never have any issues with chafing or rubbing.

Some roadies have commented that I should put a road saddle on my bike & that I'll get used to it and like it better in the long run. Others (hard core roadies & non-roadies included) have said just to ride what I've got if I don't have a problem with it. One very experience rider told me "If weight isn't an issue, ride the saddle that is most comfortable for you." I appreciate his advice, but wonder how he does over 300 miles a week on a thinly padded road saddle. I'm looking for long term comfort for longer rides as my sit bones get numb & aren't happy around miles 30-35. I am now working on spending more time out of the saddle as per the advice of a more experienced rider.
Is a road saddle more comfortable once I get used to it? Am I missing something?

I'm looking for:
Road saddle recommendations
&
opinions on whether I should even go the road saddle route

Thank you for your input.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
First of all...

ride what works!

If you go numb after 30 to 35 miles, your saddle doesn't work.

Everbody's seat anatomy is somewhat different, therefor what works for me won't work for you. A few things to keep in mind:

1.) The more you ride, the more accostomed your nether regions will become to a harder saddle, and it will actually be more comfortable than a soft saddle.

2.) Width matters. The distance between your sitbones should dtermine the width of your saddle. A specialized dealer has a thingy to measure this.

3.) Shape matters. Is it flat front to back or "bowed"? Is it flat side to side or is it bowed? Try different saddles to find out which shape fits your anatomy.

4.) Set up Matters. a milimeter either way on tilt & front to back position can make a hugh difference. Play around with a saddle position before you give up on it.

Me, I use Brooks Swallow's on all my bikes.....and for me, they disappear......but it took quite the search to figure it out.

Good Luck

Len

·
Registered
727 Posts
stick with a mountain seat if it works for you, but go for something a little closer to the road side- i would highly recommend the plateau, nisene or poggio from fizik. they are comfy, aimed more for mtb, but light enough for road. i ride the plateau on my mtb and switch it onto the roadie if my butt is especially sore. it's not expensive either-so that is my recommendation.

·
Registered
21,509 Posts
adjustments

Good advice from the other posters, but before you buy another saddle, one has to ask what adjustments you have tried with yours. As noted Len by Len J, slight changes in tilt can make a big difference in comfort. I just mounted a new saddle today and had to stop my roller ride twice for adjustments. At the end, I got it just right and feeling like my old (worn out) saddle. The more miles you ride, the more likely you are to want a saddle with less padding.

·
Registered
896 Posts
buy a bunch and try them

at my LBS, they sell alot of high end bikes. for whatever reason, the folks buying these bikes always upgrade the saddle. the stock saddles get thrown in a bin and sold for $4.99 each. at this price, I've bought a bunch, and tried them. I finally settled on one that I really like, it comes off a cannondale. I bought 6 of them(total = $30). now all my bikes have the same saddle(including lifecycle). I rode a few weeks ago on my hybrid before I replaced the saddle - this used to be a very comfy old saddle, but after finishing I was in serious pain. I guess I have gotten used to 1 saddle type now

Kerry Irons said:
Good advice from the other posters, but before you buy another saddle, one has to ask what adjustments you have tried with yours. As noted Len by Len J, slight changes in tilt can make a big difference in comfort. I just mounted a new saddle today and had to stop my roller ride twice for adjustments. At the end, I got it just right and feeling like my old (worn out) saddle. The more miles you ride, the more likely you are to want a saddle with less padding.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Same situation here...

I'm fairly new and also came from the mountain side. What I'm doing is similar to the above poster.....I'm going to ebay and buying excellent condition used saddles, and trying them one at a time. Then whichever ones I don't like, off to ebay they go. You get most if not all of your money back if you spend a little time with details and pictures in your posts. Also, I'm waiting for spring to get that spring time rush to buy.
One note of advise, be sure to question people about the TRUE condition of their saddles. I've had 3 bad experiences with improper 'excellent' condition auctions....
Have fun and use what feels the best. Don't worry about what others think. After all, its your butt. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts