Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear derailleur thumb shifter on my bike has suddenly become muted, i.e. the click when shifting is hardly noticeable now. Shifting performance is otherwise unchanged. Is this a sign that the shifter needs to be serviced or can it be ignored?

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
ragweed said:
The rear derailleur thumb shifter on my bike has suddenly become muted, i.e. the click when shifting is hardly noticeable now. Shifting performance is otherwise unchanged. Is this a sign that the shifter needs to be serviced or can it be ignored?
Not sure where you are located, but I've had Vecchios here in Boulder, CO fix this issue for me. They didn't charge much either. They know their Campy.

http://vecchios.com/

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
C-40 said:
You probably have a broken g-spring. When servicing, get two g-springs and a g-spring carrier, just to be safe.
Yup, that was it, the g-spring.

Now as to why this might have happened -- I asked Mr. Wrench if it was possibly due to my recently starting to upshift while standing on the pedals and he said "most definitely yes! That will do it every time." Is this correct? If so then would mean that a rider would always have to first sit down, then shift, then stand back up. That's no fun.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
no...

ragweed said:
Yup, that was it, the g-spring.

Now as to why this might have happened -- I asked Mr. Wrench if it was possibly due to my recently starting to upshift while standing on the pedals and he said "most definitely yes! That will do it every time." Is this correct? If so then would mean that a rider would always have to first sit down, then shift, then stand back up. That's no fun.

That's an idiot's opinion. The RD never sees any load. Broken g-springs are inevitable, just part of the design. All the g-spring does is drop into a detent in the indexing disc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts