Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cant decide between campag chorus 11 speed or Dura ace 7900, any feedback guys?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
advice...

Give Campy a try. I switched back in 1995 and never looked back. When 11 speed came out, I converted all three of my bikes to 11 speed.

About the only thing I'm still wanting is a good 11 speed chain master link.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
The ergonomics and shifting technique are different enough so you really should feel them for yourself to get any meainingful information. How well they work can be taken out of the equation because it's a non issue for either.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I switched one bike from 105 to Force/Red and finally to Record 11 this season and I’m very happy. My other bike is 7900, which is very good as well, though I will probably do Chorus on that bike eventually. The ergonomics are much better for me, and you also do not have half shifts or hard shifts like I’ve experienced with Shimano and sram, and in that regard the rear shifting is very similar to the Di2 bike I tried. The shifters are different and unlike current shimano and sram in that they are not intended for a flat fit, and I find they go much better with a traditional bend bar, which makes shifting in the drops very easy. The move was not as simple as going from shimano-sram, but once I got used to the different default hand positions and thumb shifting, I much prefer it. If you are used to mountain biking the thumb shifter on the bike becomes very natural. On the down side maintenance and upkeep is more expensive, although chorus to 7900 would likely be similar, and the system does require adjustment more often as the tighter tolerances demand higher precision. It is also not as easy to find good mechanics for campy, and there are always your classic compatibility issues, but I’ve found those tradeoffs to be worth it

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,895 Posts
C-40 said:
About the only thing I'm still wanting is a good 11 speed chain master link.
Yeah what is up with the delay on these? Will it take Shimano going to 11 speeds before they are available?

·
Registered
257 Posts
There's no good answer to this - the Shimano guys are gonna say 7900 and the Campy ones will preach Chorus. Its all which shifting mechanism you prefer.

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
Campagnolo if you're gonna call it a grouppo,
Shimano if you're willing to call it a group.

Personally I prefer the Campagnolo even though I call it a group.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Both work. Try both, they shift differently so you need to feel which you like best. You can't shift down when in the drops using Campy. That would be the big deal breaker for me. Campagnolo definitely gets the awards for sexiest. It's Italian, what would you expect?

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
???

Mount Dora Cycles said:
Both work. Try both, they shift differently so you need to feel which you like best. You can't shift down when in the drops using Campy. That would be the big deal breaker for me. Campagnolo definitely gets the awards for sexiest. It's Italian, what would you expect?
You need some education. You CAN shift either direction from the HOOKS if you have any brains. It's not hard to reach your thumb up to the thumb button, even if you have small hands.

·
Registered
168 Posts
C-40 said:
You need some education. You CAN shift either direction from the HOOKS if you have any brains. It's not hard to reach your thumb up to the thumb button, even if you have small hands.
I agree. I have small hands and have no trouble shifting from the drops w/ my Chorus 11, which I like very much.

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
Minor annoyances with Campy:
-- I don't believe they have a "native" BB30 cranks yet -- or do they, for 2011 models? They do have adapters, but that partly negates the claimed advantages of BB30.
-- no 11sp bar-end shifters, yet.
-- no compatibility with crank-mounted powermeters yet (Quarq & SRM).

Minor annoyances with Shimano:
too numerous to list ;-)

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,421 Posts
What do you have now?

If you have Campy, stay with Campy.

If you have Shimano, stay with Shimano (unless you hate it).
Every rider need a spare set of wheels.

Most Professional riders will ride whatever they are given, with no complaints, because, at the top, they all work just as well.

If this is your first bike......I have just wasted 90 seconds.....I want them back.

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
Most Professional riders will ride whatever they are given, with no complaints, because, at the top, they all work just as well...
Andy Schleck might disagree ;-)

I don't buy the "user/operator error" accusation. With a chain catcher (which Schleck did have on his SRAM bike), my Campy & Shimano bikes have never had a chain problem like Andy's, and I do on occasion find myself cross-chained and needing to shift under power.

FWIW, Zinn @ velonews hypothesized it's due to an inherent design quirk with SRAM rear der.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If possible, test ride bikes that have both Shimano and Campagnolo shifters. They both feel different ergonomically, feel different on the brake hoods and the shifting action is different. For myself, I am using Campagnolo right now because I feel more comfortable with the design of the shifter/brake hoods (was a former Ultegra user).
Both company have their good and bad points. You will not go wrong with any of these 2 groupset (even SRAM is good).
Get what feel the most comfortable for your hands and shifting preferences.

All the best,

Howard

·
Registered
614 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
What do you have now?

If you have Campy, stay with Campy.

If you have Shimano, stay with Shimano (unless you hate it).
Every rider need a spare set of wheels.

Most Professional riders will ride whatever they are given, with no complaints, because, at the top, they all work just as well.

If this is your first bike......I have just wasted 90 seconds.....I want them back.

With no complaints???believe me there are complaints!! Guys that are that race on Campy dont look back or kick themselves when they do. Seen the reps come round at the crits a few times trying to convert the teams to Sh or the other Sr and they get told where to go real quick.

Good point about the wheels but if you had ten speed campy you can still run a 10spd campy groupo with a shimano cassette and other way round with out changing cassette bodies.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I agree...if you are already calling it a gruppo get Campy if you can afford it why not get Campy?

Price is usually the deciding factor between choosing Shimano or Campy. I don't know why that doesn't get discussed more. All kinds of arguments on which shifts better, which hoods are more comfortable, which makes more noise while coasting, etc, ect...

I believe that people mainly buy Shimano because they got a better deal...plain and simple. Price is the key factor.

·
Registered
203 Posts
DY123 said:
I agree...if you are already calling it a gruppo get Campy if you can afford it why not get Campy?

Price is usually the deciding factor between choosing Shimano or Campy. I don't know why that doesn't get discussed more. All kinds of arguments on which shifts better, which hoods are more comfortable, which makes more noise while coasting, etc, ect...

I believe that people mainly buy Shimano because they got a better deal...plain and simple. Price is the key factor.
Well, I'm in the same boat as Gtti... 2010 Chorus or Dura Ace (???) Haven't exhausted researching pricing yet...

But if "Price is the key factor", Chorus wins 'hands down' (Ribble/Shiny ~$300 cheaper). That'll go a long way towards a new campy wheelset. :thumbsup:

·
Sucker for carbon
266 Posts
tom_h said:
Andy Schleck might disagree ;-)

I don't buy the "user/operator error" accusation. With a chain catcher (which Schleck did have on his SRAM bike), my Campy & Shimano bikes have never had a chain problem like Andy's, and I do on occasion find myself cross-chained and needing to shift under power.

FWIW, Zinn @ velonews hypothesized it's due to an inherent design quirk with SRAM rear der.
Yep, this is happens every single time you try to shift with SRAM. In fact, the shift levers and derailleurs are just there for looks. Actually if you want to shift with SRAM you have to stop, get off the bike and move the chain by hand to another gear. It's amazing that Contador did this so quickly with his Red group -- if you watch the tour in extreme slow motion you can actually see him do it. No kidding.

:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts