Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in need of a new groupset for a unbuilt CAAD9 frame that I've had for the past season or two.

I use to ride daily (120-140 miles a week) with some local racing, but for the past several years have not. I'm trying to get back into riding more consistently.

I have Dura-Ace 9 on my older bike, but it has seen better days and I don't want to move it to the new frame.

The new Dura-Ace is just too expensive (have a daughter going to college next year) and I can't justify the 1600 USD I've seen it going for.

Chorus 11 can be bought for about 1100 USD. I've seen 10 speed Record for about 200 USD more.

So, I guess my question is which one? Is Chorus 11 or Record 10 are relatively equivalent or would Record 10 be worth the extra 200.

I'm in my mid-40s, would like something that will last but is a good performer. I ride on mostly flat east coast roads, at a decent pace (I think I would stay out of the titanium gears - 21, 19 - probably all in the 17,16,15). I've never used Campy before except on a test ride about a decade ago.

Thanks in advance for your time and comments.

Dave

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
DG62 said:
I'm in need of a new groupset for a unbuilt CAAD9 frame that I've had for the past season or two.

I use to ride daily (120-140 miles a week) with some local racing, but for the past several years have not. I'm trying to get back into riding more consistently.

I have Dura-Ace 9 on my older bike, but it has seen better days and I don't want to move it to the new frame.

The new Dura-Ace is just too expensive (have a daughter going to college next year) and I can't justify the 1600 USD I've seen it going for.

Chorus 11 can be bought for about 1100 USD. I've seen 10 speed Record for about 200 USD more.

So, I guess my question is which one? Is Chorus 11 or Record 10 are relatively equivalent or would Record 10 be worth the extra 200.

I'm in my mid-40s, would like something that will last but is a good performer. I ride on mostly flat east coast roads, at a decent pace (I think I would stay out of the titanium gears - 21, 19 - probably all in the 17,16,15). I've never used Campy before except on a test ride about a decade ago.

Thanks in advance for your time and comments.

Dave
I'd go 11...Probikekit was advertising the 11 group for under a grand.

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
I'd also opt for Chorus 11 over Record 10.

I'd suspect minimal weight difference. Eg, comparing Chorus 11 to Record 11,
-- Record crank ~40g lighter.
-- Record caliper brakes ~40g lighter.
-- everything else about the same.

As 10-speed is being discontinued, it probably starts getting harder to find replacement parts in a few years, whereas 11sp will be Campy's mainstream.

I went Chorus 11 for an in-progress bike build, except using Record brakes solely for the black finish.

·
Registered
714 Posts
+1 for Chorus 11

It's the way of the future and if you're not racing you don't have to worry about support wheels/pit wheels and cassette compatibility.

Chorus 11 is a little bit more sexy/new, and it'll probably pay off down the road.

Functionally the two groups are very close; but based on price, I'd take Chorus 11 hands down.

PS no ti cogs on the chorus cassette, which is NOT a bad thing. you don't want to wear through a cassette in a few thousand miles anyways.

If I could afford it I'd be rocking 11s in a heartbeat. For now it's my campy record/chorus/centaur racer 10s!

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
11sp chain tool

keep in mind that a "hidden cost" of 11speed is the mandatory Campy 11sp chain tool ... $130-140 from a UK retailer (Ribble, probikekit, etc).

Still, that wouldn't deter me, just allow for it in the budget.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
tom_h said:
keep in mind that a "hidden cost" of 11speed is the mandatory Campy 11sp chain tool ... $130-140 from a UK retailer (Ribble, probikekit, etc).

Still, that wouldn't deter me, just allow for it in the budget.
Personally I'd just pay a LBS to put my chains on.

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Personally I'd just pay a LBS to put my chains on.
If and only if, you knew for a fact the LBS was Campy knowledgable & competent ...

Besides, to prolong cassette life, there is value to rotating 2 or 3 relatively cheap 11sp chains (search many posts by C-40).

Swapping chains becomes a hassle if you have to take it to LBS everytime ... where I live, it's not unusual to have several days qeue at an LBS.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies, guys. I appreciate it. I was initially leaning towards Chorus, so after your responses, Chorus is the way I will go.

Thanks, again.

Dave

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have the 11 speed (also on a new CAAD 9), and I love it. Shifting is fast and efficient, and the stuff looks great, which is always important.

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
bigbill said:
I think I have the only campy tool in my county. I know my LBS doesn't have one.
Mine does.

:)

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
tom_h said:
If and only if, you knew for a fact the LBS was Campy knowledgable & competent ...

Besides, to prolong cassette life, there is value to rotating 2 or 3 relatively cheap 11sp chains (search many posts by C-40).

Swapping chains becomes a hassle if you have to take it to LBS everytime ... where I live, it's not unusual to have several days qeue at an LBS.
This is Boulder...we have a few good Campy shops.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts