Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a Chorus 11 cable shifter set shift a Record 10 Rear mech? Seems like it should if they move the same amount, but perhaps they don't move the same amount.

I'm wanting to upgrade a 10 powershift to 11 ultrashift, as cheaply as possible. I know the front will be no problem, and the 10 chainset no problem, but don't know about re-using the rear Record 10 mech. I'd buy the Chorus 11shifters, an 11 cassette, and 11 chains.

I'd stick with 10 IF I could find a set of the Centaur Ultrashift levers like I have on another bike, but I can't seem to locate a set of those. I just don't care for Powershift and having two Ultrashift bikes and one Powershift bike just exacerbates the issue!!

·
Lost in Space...
3,434 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did find a Centaur Ultrashift (2009) right lever, so I'm good to stick with my 10 and no more steenking powershift.

Sorry to bother, I tried searching but I guess couldn't come up with the right search criteria. Sometimes I find what I'm looking for with search and other times I give up and ask, nearly always soliciting a 'search is you friend' comment. Again......sorry.

·
Lost in Space...
3,434 Posts
Don't mind me (the search comment)... I'm habitually snarky. C40 has posted on the topic in a few threads. That's actually how I ended up here, kept finding useful threads via google search (vB search blows) and figured I might as well start an account and try to contribute.

Hopefully that 2009 lever is the updated version? I guess the early models were a bit soft and for a while there was a replacement part available to yield a better feel.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know if the lever I found is the updated version or not, but it was new stock from Aebike.com, so hopefully. I DID upgrade the right lever on the set I'm running on one bike. I guess I'll have to hope if it is squishy I can find the replacement parts again!! It's always something, isn't it? Camp was near perfect in the 10 days before the new lever shape where everything worked with everything, much trickier now. I wish they'd gone with the new shape and the new Ultrashift internals and just made them all the same except for titanium bits and lever logos!! I guess marketing wins every time. After 20 years or so of extreme faith, I think if I were building up a new bike today I'd go Ultegra. A garage full of Camp wheels and three bikes pretty much where I want them will keep me in the fold for quite a while. Sorry to ramble, I'm done and gone now and will just ride 'til the next goofy thing comes up!!

·
Lost in Space...
3,434 Posts
I feel ya! I recently put together a Centaur groupset... and, I wanted Centaur. I wanted 10 speed and I wanted alloy. It's insane how much research I had to put in to get the right build. I want Ultra Torque... which means picking up a 2007-08 version that still used the same exact chain-rings as the other models (2009-10 Centaur UT used a different thickness chain-ring). Front derailleur? I needed to pick up a 2009-10 version which is the same body as the current Centaur (and up) but with the 10speed cage and silver alloy body. Shifters? I'm currently using a QS Chorus variety but I want to replace those at some point with an alloy Centaur (Ergo2) or Daytona... I might just say screw it and buy a more recent Athena or Veloce and modify it. It was quite the learning curve figuring out all the changes in the last ten years, as this was my first Campy setup.

I don't want to waste money on a Campy wheel set, especially when the company can't be bothered to offer a Record hub in a color other than black. I'm just going the respaced cassette route for now. I considered the Fulcrum 3's but I just can't accept the proprietary spoke design. But still, I wanted to see what Campagnolo was all about so I bit the bullet. I'll probably go with SRAM for the next build after all the headache with the last one. As for 105 or Ultegra, I don't mind the feel but I can't stand that the components look like they were designed by RoboCop.

Let me know how the Centaur shifts, I might pick one up! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.