Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
off the back
15,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just recieved a Chorus bottom bracket from ebay, and have a question about install.

the directions indicate that you install the right(drive) side fixing cup, feed the spindle through from the left side, and then tighten down the left side fixing cup.

but it looks to me as if the right side cup/spindle is all one assembly. do i just install this complete assembly from the right side, and then tighten down the left side fixing cup?

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
rufus said:
but it looks to me as if the right side cup/spindle is all one assembly. do i just install this complete assembly from the right side, and then tighten down the left side fixing cup?

That's how I do it. Install drive side by hand, put in non-drive cup, torque drive side, torque non-drive side.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
wierd instructions...

I've installed many BBs, just as you described, inserting the BB, without the left cup, from the right side, then tightening the right cup, followed by installation and tightening of the left cup.

Campy's current instructions say to remove the right cup and install it first. The right cup can be removed, but I see no point in doing this.

A slight variation is to screw the BB and right cup in first, but not torque the RH cup. Then install the left cup enough to engage the left side cartridge bearing, but not all the way in. Then torque the RH cup, followed by the LH cup.

The idea behind either method is to be sure a cup doesn't catch on the front edge of the cartridge bearing, due to some minor misalignment of the threads. This could deform the leading edge of the cup if it's tightened before sliding over the bearing.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Ditto.
Sometimes the bottom bracket isn't in the cups perfectly. I usually put the right cup in halfway before putting in the bottom bracket and left cup. Once everything seems straight, I tighten the right and then the left.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
One more twist

MR_GRUMPY said:
Sometimes the bottom bracket isn't in the cups perfectly. I usually put the right cup in halfway before putting in the bottom bracket and left cup. Once everything seems straight, I tighten the right and then the left.
I tighten the right cup to lower than specification, and then tighten the left cup to spec. For Campy, I do 50 nm on the right cup and then 70 on the left. Since the forces of the left cup are transferred to the right, this seems to give adequate torque since there are no clicking problems (due to loose cups).

·
off the back
15,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that's what i figured, i'd tighten the right cup/spindle assembly until it contacted the frame, then do the left side, and then torque to spec with my torque wrench.

the right cup may be able to be removed, but i don't see how, without tools or a vise. i can't get enough leverage to separate them, the left side always comes off first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.