Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any problem with the coating on the chainrings flaking off? It's around the bolts that hold the chainrings on.. Some bubbling like it wasn't cured correctly.. Crankset has 200 miles on it, no rain... Just purchased and installed in Dec.

·
Roadcyclist
412 Posts
Mosovich said:
Anyone have any problem with the coating on the chainrings flaking off? It's around the bolts that hold the chainrings on.. Some bubbling like it wasn't cured correctly.. Crankset has 200 miles on it, no rain... Just purchased and installed in Dec.
is it on the '09 Chorus crankset?

i currently ride the new 11s, was previously on the Record '07.
on the '07 Record crankset, i had similar problem as well. like what you stated, the coatings on the chainring flaking off. i believe this problem is actually due to the coating properties on the chainrings. it corrodes easily.

Campagnolo came out with special coated chainrings on the new '09 Record and SR to address this issue. if i'm not wrong, the new '09 Chorus has similar coatings as the '07 Record. as such, minor 'flaking' may occur eventually.

rgds

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
fyi, the 2009 Campy Spare Parts Lists show the same chainring part# used on Chorus, Record, and Super Record.

No differences on plating/coatings ...

·
Roadcyclist
412 Posts
tom_h said:
fyi, the 2009 Campy Spare Parts Lists show the same chainring part# used on Chorus, Record, and Super Record.

No differences on plating/coatings ...
oops.
my bad:rolleyes:

well, if its the same part number, then it should not have corroded (i hope:) ).

cheers

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
facts...

The '08 Chorus rings have a special nickel plating, just like Record. There have been reports of some flaking, but usually at the teeth. I've had no problems with my '08 rings.

The '09 rings are hard anodized, which is much more corrosion resistant and more wear resistant.

The '08 rings have a 3-year warranty, if you bought them from an authorized dealer and have the sale receipt. If your parts came from E-bay, you're probably out of luck.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
flustered..

They didn't come from ebay, they were a gift, and the person that got them can't remember where they came from.. They used the best buy website that list places the sell them, so she has no idea.. It's just frustrating that Campy won't even talk to me about it.. :cryin:

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
yep...

Mosovich said:
They didn't come from ebay, they were a gift, and the person that got them can't remember where they came from.. They used the best buy website that list places the sell them, so she has no idea.. It's just frustrating that Campy won't even talk to me about it.. :cryin:
Typical Campy warranty. Lousy. If you can get a LBS to return the product to Campy, you'll be golden, otherwise SOL.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts