Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
awwww horseapples!!
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bike with 04 chorus, and for the most part it has functioned really, really well and required little care.

However, I have always noticed it takes alot for the front der. to shifter between rings (its a double). Its been adjusted, check and re-checked. Is this just a common characteristic of their front derailleurs? This is my first campy group after having 6 bikes with ultegra or dura ace so I have no frame of reference.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I once owned a bike that had a bottom bracket for a triple (111mm) instead of a double (102) . the bike was setup for a double. i rode it trouble free for 2 years then i transferred the parts to another frame thats when i noticed the discrepency. i could never get it to shift without alot of effort. the 4.5mm distance made a lot of difference. check spindle length. if it's 102 then yea it's common.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
a lot of what?

A lot of time? A lot of lever travel? If it's set up properly, the first click of the finger lever should cause the FD to move to the right. It should only take 3-4 clicks to make the shift from the little ring to the big ring. If it takes any more, then the cable tension is too low and/or the thumb button was not pushed all the way down before the FD cable was attached.

If you're complaining because the big to little ring shift is "slow", then push the thumb button quicker. A Campy FD does not release all the cable for this shift with a single click bang, like shimano.

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
awesometown said:
I have a bike with 04 chorus, and for the most part it has functioned really, really well and required little care.

However, I have always noticed it takes alot for the front der. to shifter between rings (its a double). Its been adjusted, check and re-checked. Is this just a common characteristic of their front derailleurs? This is my first campy group after having 6 bikes with ultegra or dura ace so I have no frame of reference.
Not in my experience. Every Campy FD I've set up has worked precisely and without further adjustment. If they're done properly, they work like watches.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
if a LOT means it requires a lot of effort to shift, the shifter may need servicing..or is it possible that the cable is too tight from the get-go? or maybe the cable is frayed in the housing?.... or binding on the guide under the bottom bracket?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.