Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Eddy 53:11
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Campy set-up that is about 2 1/2 years old. I was considering upgrading to Record because I am getting a new frame. But other that looks, and MAYBE weight, I was wondering what (if any) differences there are between the two these days? Any newer/nicer advantages for Record or should I jusr keep the money in my pocket? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
JetSpeed said:
Any newer/nicer advantages for Record or should I jusr keep the money in my pocket? Thanks.
I'd go with Chorus. No real differences except a few grams and a few pieces of ti and carbon here and there.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
one difference...

The Record Ultra shifters do operate a little smoother than the Chorus or earlier Record. I always pay a little more and get the Record ergo levers. Other than that, it's mainly weight savings through the use is Ti and carbon instead of steel and aluminum in a few places. The expensive Ti/steel cassette probably won't last as long as a Chorus cassette.

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
I say stick with what you've got. The differences are miniscule. You could upgrade the levers if you really like the carbon look.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I went through the same thing and went Chorus

I wanted the Carbon levers, and frankly there was not a lot of difference. I did like the looks of the extra carbon on the Record Front and Rear Derailleurs, but the extra bling factor wasn't worth the cost, especially for someone striving NOT to be a fred!

Stay with the Chorus. Upgrade the levers if you want the carbon look (and it does look SHARP).

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Piles said:
If your going for a new group, go with Durarace or even Ultegra. Shimano for me, everytime.

Dura-Ace is more $$$$ than Record and Chorus is the best value of the four.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Break In Period

2 1/2 years - heck you are just breaking in your current Chorus set up. It still has lots of miles left on it.

1) Keep your current bike with its Chorus set up and make it your rain bike/travel bike and put whatever you want on your new frame.

2) Move your old Chorus to the new frame and put the extra money in your pocket or into other flashy stuff like wheels or bars.

If buying new I would recommend Chorus with select upgrades if you must have some Record on your bike. After yet another set of dead Ultegra levers my wife has moved to Campy. I got her a bouquet of carbon for Valentines Day. I do not care for the excessive carbon currently being marketed in cycling and have the pre carbon Chorus on my bike. She has the 2006 Chorus on her bike and it does look sweet. Assembly was a breeze and the quality is definetly there with Chorus. It is in a different class than her old Ultegra.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Piles said:
If your going for a new group, go with Durarace or even Ultegra. Shimano for me, everytime.
uh, he wasnt asking about fishing tackle he was asking about road components. he isn't considering shimano he is choosing between two of the best groups made. I chose chorus on my build and money wasnt a concern, I just wanted the longevity of not having the extra bling. on a side note: i have shimano tiagra reels on my boat and i love them.

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
Piles said:
Dura Ace and Ultegra are comparible to Centaur and Veloce. This man is looking further up the Campy line to Record and Chorus.

·
Eddy 53:11
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"Let's Get Ready To Rumble . . . . .!"

I'm amazed about the overwhelming response to stay w/Chorus. That's pretty cool.

The one thing I don't like about the Record shifters is that they lack the little "finger holes/indentations in them like Chorus does. It just fits and feels so good each time I shift.

I'm not a "bling" person or a weight wennie, so I think I'll hold onto my Chorus for now and maybe just upgrade something else much less expensive . . . . . . . Thanks to all.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
haha, pisser ! one thing i'ld have to say about chorus is it is FANTASTIC... 1400kms and lots of shifting and my right lever is JUST starting to break in..

·
Special guest
Ultegra R8000
574 Posts
My current bike came with Ultegra. :mad: After the rear shifter died on me, I purchased a set of used Chorus 9spd shifters, (circa 2000) and they work wonderfully. I've had Campagnolo on my previous bikes, and now, I'll never consider putting any Shimano parts on again.
After using both Chorus and Record, I'd have to agree that the performance level between the two groups is equal, with the Record group being more attractive and lighter.

uh, he wasnt asking about fishing tackle he was asking about road components. he isn't considering shimano he is choosing between two of the best groups made. I chose chorus on my build and money wasnt a concern, I just wanted the longevity of not having the extra bling. on a side note: i have shimano tiagra reels on my boat and i love them.
Hehehe! :p Hopefully you won't have to throw away your fishing reels after they break and can't be rebuilt.

·
Registered
155 Posts
turbogrover said:
My current bike came with Ultegra. :mad: After the rear shifter died on me, I purchased a set of used Chorus 9spd shifters, (circa 2000) and they work wonderfully. I've had Campagnolo on my previous bikes, and now, I'll never consider putting any Shimano parts on again.
After using both Chorus and Record, I'd have to agree that the performance level between the two groups is equal, with the Record group being more attractive and lighter.

Hehehe! :p Hopefully you won't have to throw away your fishing reels after they break and can't be rebuilt.

I hope so too. I had to throw away my Campag because it sucked, so now ive got the best. I dont know about fishing but understand that Shimano make some of the best equipment in that sport as well. If your trying to put Shimano down, i dont follow your chain of thought.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Piles said:
I hope so too. I had to throw away my Campag because it sucked, so now ive got the best. I dont know about fishing but understand that Shimano make some of the best equipment in that sport as well. If your trying to put Shimano down, i dont follow your chain of thought.
which campy were you running?

·
Registered
155 Posts
iopturbo said:
which campy were you running?
To be honest im not sure. I think it was Chorus, decked out on a gorgeous Bianchi. I didnt keep it long enough and wasnt as concerned with what i was using as i am now.

·
Special guest
Ultegra R8000
574 Posts
Piles said:
BWAHAHAHAHAA!! I don't have to put down Shimano, they do pretty well on their own. Not everyone gets Campagnolo, just like you don't get trains of thought. You don't have to justify to us why you spent all that money on Shimano stuff. I'm glad you like it. The world needs grocery baggers too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts