Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Not that much different, and since Chorus levers are now carbon, they look pretty much the same too.

I use both, Record if I'm feeling flush, Chorus for the other 364 days in the year.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
Pretty much the same.

Record hubs are definitely different -- better for some applications, maybe not others. Shifters nearly identical. Record brakes, I'm told, have a slight edge, but I can't tell 'em apart. A little weight, obv.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Or not

Argentius said:
Record hubs are definitely different -- better for some applications, maybe not others.
The ONLY functional difference between Record and Chorus hubs is the oil holes in Record. The weight differences are due to a few material substitutions, but result in no functional performance differences. Therefore, the only time that Record's functionality comes into play is when you want to oil your bearings, like for a "nice weather" time trial. My take is to go Record when you get a gruppo price or other good deal and have the lust, like when buying an new bike. Otherwise, Chorus is a fine quality group at a slight weight increase, but no functional deficiencies.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I have both and find they work the same

and that a full record group build is noticably lighter. now that chrous has so many carbon bits it is a shame--if you wanted an overall alloy look to your gruppo that option is gone. anyway, i buy on ebay mostly so i get what comes with the bike or buy a gruppo at a steep discount to retail. i guess if i was buying in a shop i'd get chorus. i had daytona on one bike and it was not as nice shifting as chorus or record. i assume that is still the case for centaur. i have too many bikes so have yet to wear out anything in terms of BB, cassette, rings, or shifters. i think you will enjoy either--i personally care mostly because i love the shifting of campy, especially in winter with gloves.
jim

·
Registered
36 Posts
Consider Centaur as well

Just a thought. I just built up a centaur bike with chorus shifters (unneeded but pretty). Light, smooth, cheap.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Mosovich said:
I'm going to venture on the campy side for my next bike. I record really that much different from Chorus, like DA is from Ultegra, or are they pretty close and not worth the price difference?
Hey it's all good at this level. Record is a tad lighter, but really it doesn't matter unless you have to have Record. How many times has this been asked anyway?....

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
I just put Veloce shifters on my cross bike: Same shifting as Chorus, same parts list for the internals. Record offers 'Ultra' shifting due to a teflon coated gear...

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know..

Bocephus Jones II said:
Hey it's all good at this level. Record is a tad lighter, but really it doesn't matter unless you have to have Record. How many times has this been asked anyway?....
I did a search and didn't fine the info I wanted, so I asked. I'd ask again if I had to. Sorry to have bothered you, no one made you respond. :eek:

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you have way too much money, get Record. If you only ride road, get chorus. If you need to also upkeep your full suss bike, your cross bike, your singlespeed, etc, get Centaur!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Spunout said:
I just put Veloce shifters on my cross bike: Same shifting as Chorus, same parts list for the internals. Record offers 'Ultra' shifting due to a teflon coated gear...
Pretty sure Record and Chorus both use bearings, while all the others use bushings. Not that it makes much difference. Record does have the teflon coated thingamajig though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Argentius said:
Ah, perhaps the information I had was incorrect.

LBS told me when building my bike that Record hubs used a different bearing style than Chorus -- I'm not very knowledgeable about mechanics, but I think it was that they did not have sealed bearings, meaning they took more service.

Do you know if this was ever true?

At some point, but before 9 speed I think. Currently Centaur, Chorus, and Record are all very very similar. Centaur uses a plasic retaining ring where chorus uses alloy, and Record has a couple small ti parts and an oil hole.

Other than vanity (which I succumb to as well sometimes), or the requirement for a 28 hole hub, there is no real reason to get hubs above Centaur. I do think they should release 24 & 28 hole centaur hubs.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
Oops?

Kerry Irons said:
The ONLY functional difference between Record and Chorus hubs is the oil holes in Record. .

LBS told me when building my bike that Record hubs used a different bearing style than Chorus -- I'm not very knowledgeable about mechanics, but I think it was that they did not have sealed bearings, meaning they took more service.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Argentius said:

If anything the Record will take more service because you'll lose the little clip that goes over the oil hole and dirt will get in there. Really folks...when you're at Chorus level hubs you gotta pick some really small nits to say that Record is in any way significantly better.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've heard from multiple sources that "this year's Chorus is last year's Record." If true, all you're buying with Record is whatever updates have happened in the last year. Could be that there's a bit more than a one year delta, but who knows.

That being said, most of the parts are interchangable (for instance, my right Chorus ErgoShifter is full of Record parts), and you can upgrade Chorus with Record bits whenever you feel the urge to treat yourself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts