Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
It definitely makes you want to root for Chris :D

What I think a lot of people don't realize is that he carried that guy to an uphill finish. The end of that race, to my understanding, is not flat and he carried both the rider and his bike uphill and still finished in the 80's on the stage!

Pretty crazy to stop mid race and help a fellow racer out like that...Major props for Chris Horner.

Also....on a side note, congrats to Heidi for getting the pics and having them posted by Velonews....she is member of my club/team and takes some incredible pictures....Way to go Heidi :thumbsup:

Heidi is also a great writer...here is a link to her blog with more pictures of this and the Cascade Classic: Heidi's Blog

·
Rollin' Stones
2,641 Posts
Wowsers! That says a lot for those wheels!

·
BS the DC
1,426 Posts
I don't get it. It seems silly, unnecessary, and I would think the stoker on that single seat tandem would get disqualified. Was there no support vehicle?

·
What offseason?
534 Posts
bsdc said:
I don't get it. It seems silly, unnecessary, and I would think the stoker on that single seat tandem would get disqualified. Was there no support vehicle?
They were both way off the back and the support vehicles were already at the finish - their finish time was 9 minutes down - the other rider had crashed (fairly badly) and they were 2k from the finish.

The rider got the same time as the group he was in when the crash happened (near Horner) because the crash happened within the last 3k.

·
BS the DC
1,426 Posts
gray8110 said:
They were both way off the back and the support vehicles were already at the finish - their finish time was 9 minutes down - the other rider had crashed (fairly badly) and they were 2k from the finish.

The rider got the same time as the group he was in when the crash happened (near Horner) because the crash happened within the last 3k.
That seems WAY wrong to me. The team vehicle should never leave a man behind. Even a small charity ride will have someone sweep the route. I can't imagine an event like that not having a neutral support vehicle and a vehicle to sweep the road.

Someone should have handed the man a wheel and allowed him to make it to the finish line under his own power.

·
What offseason?
534 Posts
Nothing personal, but it sounds like you haven't paid attention to how teams service their riders :) The team vehicle should never leave a man behind??? Bull! The team car (when teams have them) always stays with the faster group so it can support the riders in contention. <a href="http://www.americanradd.com/">His team</a> isn't a pro team and may not have had a car in the caravan.

The race was 2k from the finish and there probably wouldn't have been another support vehicle until the women's field came by which was about 30 minutes later. A very basic rule of high level racing in the US is that once you are out of the race caravan, you are on your own. I can see the point that the rider should have been DQ'd for crossing the line without his bike, but it was in the last 3k, he was injured - it didn't matter how he reached the line - his time was determined by the group he was in when he crashed. Much more relevant is that the rider was injured - his right side was torn up - he was bleeding fairly badly - and he went straight to the medical tent - Horner got him there faster than he would have otherwise.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.