Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like he has a case of the cadel's from the Tour of Elk Grove:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road.php?id=road/2008/aug08/elkgrove08/elkgrove081

The team put Hilton's younger brother Johnny on the front as well as Ben Day and sprinter Ivan Dominquez to work for their two best GC riders – the elder Clarke and Canadian Dominque Rollin. The team had control up until a half-lap to go when Kelly Benefits took over with their well organized lead-out. But in the final turn, Alex Candelario lost control and slid out, taking many riders with him.

"I was doing a little two wheel drifting and that curb came up a little too quickly!" he said. "I was second off of Lacombe and we were trying to lead Vellieux out for the 20 second time bonus." The result was most of the leading riders down and the field held up, except for Clarke and Vellieux.

"I was the first one behind Kelly Benefits," said Clarke. "To tell you the truth but those guys always ride dangerous in the last corners of races. They are watching everyone else and not watching the corner. Alex crashed and I had a box seat watching it, so I took the corner hard and got through but no one else could see and they all crashed. They had an absolutely brilliant lead out but they were too busy watching us and not the corner."

One of those involved in the crash was Astana's Chris Horner who did finish the race, but clearly holding his arm. Horner was taken to an area hospital where he was shown to have a broken collarbone.

·
Banned
270 Posts
DRLski said:
well, thankfully he got it towards the end of the season instead of the beginning.
Is my sarcasm meter having trouble? Dude: Olympics, Worlds, Vuelta, Paris-Tours and Lombardia are still coming. Those are not small races. Well, except for Olys maybe. Did you know that Paris-Tours is the only race that teh Merckx never won?!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Creakyknees said:
Bummer for Chris. Lombardy and the Vuelta are his kind of races, and you know he deserved his friggin ride at the Olympics.
I saw his name in the media guide, but I don't think he was named to final team. IINM, it's Hincapie, Leipheimer, McCartney (McCarthy?), VandeVelde, and Zabriskie.

JSR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.