francois said:
"What a fantastic victory!"

nuff said,
francois
What a great interview as well:

"I was weakest on the final climb"
"Salvodelli had an amazing descent and got away"
"Cadel and I had good tactics and kept attacking"
"No one wanted to work with Valverde cause we knew he was too strong in the sprint"
"Good tactics today"

The whole time he was giddy like a 5-year old!

francois
p.s. thanks to cycling.tv

·
Registered
530 Posts
Way to go, indeed. Given his past dominance in the US, his previous failure in Europe, his decision to forgo domestic bliss and a degree of financial security to give the big time one more shot.... it's great to see him "making it." He should be giddy.

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
francois said:
"What a fantastic victory!"

nuff said,
francois
caught the end of the stage on Sporza. Horner played his cards perfectly. Can't say I've always liked him, but I'm happy when he wins.

I agree that he definitely makes things exciting. Old school [email protected] to the [email protected], all or nothing, racing. ;)

·
soy un perdedor
839 Posts
As good a season

as anyone could hope so far for Horner.

13th ToC
17th Paris-Nice
20th Amstel Gold
19th Fleche Wallon
8th LBL

These are all respectable results and now a stage win in the TdR. I think he'll be somewhere in the 30s for Protour ranking after this.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
good for him

he has an interview in CycleSport seems like quite the character. He said when he went back to europe this time he didn't try to fit in, just stayed himself but racing in Europe. By doing so he avoided the culture shock that ruined his first visit. I'm sure part of the reason for jumping to D.L. was the large # of English speakers

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Argh, Spoilier!!!!

Aw, man, Francois!

I'm excited, too, since Horner's from my home state, but, I was gonna watch the replay on cycling.tv when they put it on late tonight after I got home. Now I know what happened...

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
atpjunkie said:
I'm sure part of the reason for jumping to D.L. was the large # of English speakers
that, and the fact that they agreed to pay him the amount he asked for (or so he said in that interview). :D

·
Banned
3,317 Posts
Fantastic result for Horner and US cycling.

Not so great for Der Kaiser, who finished 10 minutes back. Ouch. Maybe Riis was on to something.

·
Banned
608 Posts
francois said:
What a great interview as well:
One of the things you notice in any interview with Horner that he talks about strategy and what went on during a race is that he seems to have more race savvy and awareness than all the other American riders put together.

Good victory.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Under ACrookedSky said:
One of the things you notice in any interview with Horner that he talks about strategy and what went on during a race is that he seems to have more race savvy and awareness than all the other American riders put together.

Good victory.

an interesting point made by Horner in the interview - how nobody wants to work in a group with Valverde.

Valverde's amazing sprint-at-the-top-of-the-climb ability may actually prove to be counterproductive in his attempt at GC in grand tours. Whenever he gets in the leading group on the climb everyone might as well sit up and wait for "backup", or let him do all the work.

·
Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Argentius said:
Aw, man, Francois!

I'm excited, too, since Horner's from my home state, but, I was gonna watch the replay on cycling.tv when they put it on late tonight after I got home. Now I know what happened...
Arrggh, sorry.

Holding back everyone though from posting spoilers in titles until folks can watch replays on a subscription website is too much to ask I'm afraid.

Posting exciting results on titles on a racing forum I think is important cause it informs people easily and it pulls them into a great discussion.

francois

·
Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
55x11 said:
an interesting point made by Horner in the interview - how nobody wants to work in a group with Valverde.

Valverde's amazing sprint-at-the-top-of-the-climb ability may actually prove to be counterproductive in his attempt at GC in grand tours. Whenever he gets in the leading group on the climb everyone might as well sit up and wait for "backup", or let him do all the work.
Valverde is a marked man! On a mountain-top finish, it may not matter since he will just crush everyone.

On this race, Valverde's presence helped Horner. Here's why:
Horner took off on flat roads with 4k to go. It was a brilliant move with just a little 5 to 10 second gap. It didn't look like the group got organized to chase him down. Reason... Valverde was there. Why would you pull the chase train if you knew Valverde was going to outsprint you. Instead there were a few counterattacks and Horner solo'd to the win.

fc

·
Registered
400 Posts
francois said:
Valverde is a marked man! On a mountain-top finish, it may not matter since he will just crush everyone.

On this race, Valverde's presence helped Horner. Here's why:
Horner took off on flat roads with 4k to go. It was a brilliant move with just a little 5 to 10 second gap. It didn't look like the group got organized to chase him down. Reason... Valverde was there. Why would you pull the chase train if you knew Valverde was going to outsprint you. Instead there were a few counterattacks and Horner solo'd to the win.

fc
Makes perfect sense to make an attack than wait for sprint, with Valverde in the group. Better than waiting to take your chances trying to outsprint Valverde 'cuz all he is going to do sit in and wait.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.