Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 105 BB is sucking after less than a year.
Looking at upgrades. For the 125$-150$ range, I can get a Chris King Bottom Bracket or one of several ceramic ones. CK is servicable, but the ceramics (F1, VCRC, Hope et al) often claim the same. Of course the high end ceramic BB's cost 300$-500$.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I got 7000+ miles on of my DA 7800 BB and it is still going strong on a different bike. Currently running a DA 7900 BB on my main ride with no problems in 2500 miles. As long as your BB shell is faced, Shimano BB should be fine. I originally had a FSA, and they do suck. Why spend over 130 for a King, when you can get a DA 7900 for 35.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,420 Posts
You have to ask the question:....Why is my bottom bracket failing?

Do you ride in the rain often?
Do you accumulate water in the bottom bracket shell?
Was the crank installed too tight?

CK bottom brackets "might" have a 5% advantage over a stock 105 bottom bracket.
Ceramic bottom brackets are sold to suckers....(don't be a sucker)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know where you are getting $30 dura-ace bottom brackets. More typical is $45, and higher here in Canada. And shimano bb's have a bit of a rep for being less than smooth. Correct me if I am wrong.

·
Anything on 2 wheels
333 Posts
brinntache said:
My 105 BB is sucking after less than a year.
Looking at upgrades. For the 125$-150$ range, I can get a Chris King Bottom Bracket or one of several ceramic ones. CK is servicable, but the ceramics (F1, VCRC, Hope et al) often claim the same. Of course the high end ceramic BB's cost 300$-500$.
Any thoughts?
Token Tiramic BB. Ceramic balls with titanium coated bearing races. CRC has them for around 75$.

I bought 2 of them, one for MTB the other for road. The road was installed yesterday along with new cranks. No report yet but the MTB is doing well.

BTW, I got around 4000km out of my 105 BB.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I went with CK's for MTB and CX as the ability to regrease them easily was attractive given weather conditions I race in. Having regreased loose bearings vs. CK, I decided to spend up for it. (I get very good pricing from my LBS).

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
If you regrease the CK BB once in a while, it will probably outlast your frame. They have a 5 yr warranty as it is.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I don't know where you are getting $30 dura-ace bottom brackets.
Usually in the past, I was buying them for $30-35 with various sales, incentives, etc. Here's one, new, for $27:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Shimano-Dur...NG-/200503905593?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories

And shimano bb's have a bit of a rep for being less than smooth.
Perhaps, and CK has a reputation for being way over-priced for what it is. I went the whole, ceramic, then CK route. As MR_GRUMPY points out, not worth the price differential to me.

·
Registered
782 Posts
i really like the VCRC BB i have for shimano. I abused it racing and training in all kinds of snow, rain, sleat, whatever else and when i decided to service it, all the grease inside still looked fresh when i removed the seals. It also spun crazy smooth (smoother than new) after 7-8000 miles. I don't know if it saves me precious watts or anything, but it seems to hold up very well.

·
Registered
843 Posts
If you do anything other than a Shimano BB (and all the adapters are essentially the same 105 to DA) get a CK. Don't waste money and eventually time with any ceramic bearing BB's or headsets, hub bearings, etc. But if you just want to say "I've got a ceramic bearing BB" go ahead. There's no appreciable performance benefit on a bicycle.

Bob

·
Anything on 2 wheels
333 Posts
Dr_John said:
Perhaps, and CK has a reputation for being way over-priced for what it is. I went the whole, ceramic, then CK route. As MR_GRUMPY points out, not worth the price differential to me.
Personally I find CK or even hope SS BB overpriced. The reason I went for ceramic was that they should theoretically last longer, especially in foul conditions (like the MTB) because ceramic balls don't REQUIRE grease and shouldn't wear faster without. This is especially interesting for people who aren't too responsible in their maintenance. As far as I'm concernend it'S a matter fo time. Having my own 5 bikes to maintain + the GFs it can go a while between BB repackings so I hopw ceramics last longer.

Speaking of which, I gave them a spin (the Token Tiramic) yesterday. It was a fast climbing session, having been held at work late. Although Token makes claims of 4% power increase I didn't feel anything when riding and didn't expect to. They are expremely smooth when hand spun though and, as previously mentionned, I mostly bought them for their longevity. At 75$ from CRC the Token Tiramics are worth it. If the bearing don't last, I'll still have good cups in which I'll put some Enduro bearings so it's a win-win if you ask me.

·
Anything on 2 wheels
333 Posts
Indyfan said:
If you do anything other than a Shimano BB (and all the adapters are essentially the same 105 to DA) get a CK. Don't waste money and eventually time with any ceramic bearing BB's or headsets, hub bearings, etc. But if you just want to say "I've got a ceramic bearing BB" go ahead. There's no appreciable performance benefit on a bicycle.

Bob
I don't think there's a noticable advantage of a CK over a Hope or Token either. In the end you're buying BB cups, bearings are disposable and cheap. Although CK bearings have the reputation of lasting forever and since they can easily be repacked it can be interesting. If you ask me though, the BB + tool cost close to 200$ so I prefer the cheaper alternative that is Token + Enduro bearings when the original bearings fail.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts