Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In trolling the internet tonight, I came upon Chris King's cyclocross hubs. Pricey, but rather sexy looking, particularly the anodized color options. Does anyone have any experience with them? I really want a pair. Can anybody justify the cost?

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
dr pabst said:
In trolling the internet tonight, I came upon Chris King's cyclocross hubs. Pricey, but rather sexy looking, particularly the anodized color options. Does anyone have any experience with them? I really want a pair. Can anybody justify the cost?
No.

If you have the money, then spend it. However, if your budget is tight, save the money and buy DA hubs instead. Half the cost and almost as good. You can build a nice and light set of wheels from them.

I think the DT Swiss 240s are lighter and just as good in quality as well. I think the price is comparable or a little less.

But those King hubs are sexy and for me they are a local product. That counts for something too.

·
A wheelist
11,689 Posts
the pope said:
you may be dead a long time but eating instant noodles and working a third job repainting dumpsters because of poor impulse control in buying shiny things on the internet will feel longer
If you come here saying "I really want a pair", you get them on an impulse and can't afford the 400 measly dollars (or so) then you deserve to repaint dumpsters forever.

·
MING
419 Posts
ive had my set of king hubs for just about a decade. i do about a thousand or so miles a year on this wheelset- cyclocross, commuting and touring in pac northwest weather. they rock.

these things are alps proof

·
Registered
214 Posts
Chris King hub discussions capture a disproportionate amount of flak, much of it centered around whether they are too expensive/too bling/too whatever. The fact is, they are pretty much bulletproof, withstand wet, dirt, and worse better than almost any other hub, and are completely rebuildable. They also have one of the best geometries in the standard ("Classic") configuration -- they give some of the best bracing angles in a rear hub, which is also good for cross. So if you want to spend the money, they are certainly great to use.

A few provisos:

1. They only come down to 28 holes, nothing smaller unless you are a special friend of theirs. For many carbon rims, that rules them out.
2. The front hub is not rated for radial spoking if you're so inclined. I've built plenty of front King hubs with radial lacing and never had a problem, but I tend to do it with 28's anyway where there's more metal between the spoke holes (and it doesn't make too much sense to radial-spoke a 36-hole wheel).
3. If the arrival of the cross hubs meant that there are lots of King Classic hubs getting dumped on the used market, then by all means go for the Classics. They are still superb and may be much cheaper because there are a fair number of them available for sale.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
I think... to sum up a lot of discussion about CK hubs... they are a really great product and if you can afford them buy them... because they are a really great product. If you can't afford them, there are other great products out there that will be good. You get what you pay for. I love mine so far.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Not so fast. . .

. . .because of their notorious seal drag. Just kidding. . . . ? :D

Dajianshan said:
You get what you pay for
Assuming for the sake of this discussion that this is true, the fact of the matter is that the cost of CK products is based in part on factors that have nothing to do with performance, durability, design or even the fancy colors. So you really have to enumerate what you are paying for. You are also getting and paying for stuff like green manufacturing, progressive employment practices, supporting US industry etc. IMO, even if CK is the best in performance, durability, design etc., the cost difference is not justified on these factors alone.

Also, most purchasing decisions aren't made in a vaccum. Many people can afford CK products, but that does not mean that their funds are unlimited. As soon as CK hubs involve compromises elsewhere, the "if you can afford it" argument doesn't cut it. For example, if buying CK hubs means settling for tires with inferior suppleness that lose you .5 seconds in every corner. . . . .

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
You are also getting and paying for stuff like green manufacturing, progressive employment practices, supporting US industry etc. IMO, even if CK is the best in performance, durability, design etc., the cost difference is not justified on these factors alone.
+1:thumbsup:

Jeeze the environmental impact of a 10 year hub over a 2 year hub alone is so much less...

For example, if buying CK hubs means settling for tires with inferior suppleness that lose you .5 seconds in every corner. . . . .
... you can keep them for a long time and build better wheels around them as the budget permits.

·
TheHeadlessThompsonGunner
523 Posts
Gripped said:
If you have the money, then spend it. However, if your budget is tight, save the money and buy DA hubs instead. Half the cost and almost as good.
Almost as good? DA hubs are definitely as good as Kings. Not better, to be sure, but perfectly on par. The weight is the same - 7800s with the alloy freehub body are actually a little lighter. (Bear in mind that Shimano and Campy always publish hub weights with skewers; the competition always appears at first to be lighter as a result.) The bearings will last for ever in both, but the DA will require less adjustment initially and probably later on. Sure, the Kings will last for decades and are warranted to do so, but the DA will last just as long. DA only comes in boring silver, but I think that's the only trade-off; Kings make up for it by being loud as hell.

I like King and everything they do quite a lot, but in my opinion, there's no reason not to buy Shimano or Campy hubs, regardless of the cost or the competition's offerings.

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
Applesauce said:
I like King and everything they do quite a lot, but in my opinion, there's no reason not to buy Shimano or Campy hubs, regardless of the cost or the competition's offerings.
I think that was my point?

For the record, I buy DA (used). It's the best bang for the buck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.