Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· I've got to get in shape.
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a King threadless headset on my Litespeed Classic with an Ouzo Pro fork, but it won't adjust properly. That is to say, despite changing forks and crown races, the headset won't tighten down evenly around the upper bearing cap and the upper cup. There is a about a 0.5mm space difference between the front and back of the headset, rather than an even look around the entire upper part of the headset.

Having said that, the headset feels fine.

I'm afraid that I might have to replace the headset, or worse, the frame.

Can anyone give some insight, or am I overreacting? I'll post a picture when I can get the dang camera to work.

As usual, thank you.

· Registered
413 Posts
Head Tube May Need Facing

foggypeake said:
I've got a King threadless headset on my Litespeed Classic with an Ouzo Pro fork, but it won't adjust properly. That is to say, despite changing forks and crown races, the headset won't tighten down evenly around the upper bearing cap and the upper cup. There is a about a 0.5mm space difference between the front and back of the headset, rather than an even look around the entire upper part of the headset.

Can anyone give some insight, or am I overreacting? I'll post a picture when I can get the dang camera to work.

As usual, thank you.
Go here and have a look.http://tinyurl.com/mvjsd

· Registered
356 Posts
foggypeake said:

As usual, thank you.

I've had a similar problem with a King headset. It worked fine for about a year, but then it would loosen up during pretty much every ride. It turned out to be due to a fork steerer that wasn't quite straight. It was very difficult to see until I put a straightedge up to it. But if you've tried two forks, it sounds like your headtube might need to be faced.

282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Here is a picture of what I am describing.

I hope this picture thing works.

If you look at the bearing cap at the rear of the headset, you can see that there is a slight gap; at the front of the headset, there is no gap.

Sorry that its a crappy picture.

· Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
foggypeake said:

As usual, thank you.
Could be a few things related to facing the HT, spacers or stem. However, is there a performance issue here or is this just aesthetic?

· Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Could be a few things related to facing the HT, spacers or stem. However, is there a performance issue here or is this just aesthetic? It is possible for the gap to be slightly uneven with a CK headset without there being a problem with setting and maintaining HS adjustment.

· Registered
269 Posts
It's most likely

your carbon spacers. They are notorious for their top and bottom edges not being parallel. Stems can also be out of alignment. Try using the little opaque plastic washer that came with your headset between the top cap and spacer. If that doesn't work, try a high quality aluminum spacer like those from Wheels Mfg.of Boulder. They cost a little more than your cheap aluminum ones, but not more than a carbon. Well worth it to maximize a King.

282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At first, I was worried about ruining the headset or even worse, the frame. After checking it more closely, I noticed that the headset is correctly adjusted. After taking the headset apart, it appears that the bearing cap is bent. Next solution is to order a new headset cap from King.

Thank God they sell replacement parts!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.